PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a screw

WHG
07-09-2013, 11:03
I've got a friend that was given a No 4 Mk II rifle that a co-worker found in their attic. Problem is it's missing the screw that is located at the rear of the forearm right above the trigger guard. I've had no luck finding anyone selling this part, and am thinking I might have to buy a sporterized forearm to get one. Seems the usual sources for these are out also (I even tried EBay). Anyone have one of these screws I could buy? It also has a modified bolt body he would like to replace if anyone has one they don't need.

SMOKEY
07-09-2013, 01:36
Try Liberty Tree Collectors. I have had luck getting parts with them

WHG
07-09-2013, 04:05
Tried Liberty Tree Collectors, and they were sold out of bolt bodies, and they don't list the screw. I'll just keep looking. There's a gun show next month that I'll check out.

C5M1
07-09-2013, 04:19
A few years back on CSP there was a thread about smle screws with a link to a company that was making new mil spec screws. Wish I had saved it. Maybe someone else here did.

regards, dennis

M1Garandy
07-09-2013, 05:34
Give Scott a try: http://www.customscrewsandmore.com/

C5M1
07-09-2013, 05:45
Bookmarked it this time. thanx.

regards, dennis

swede49
07-15-2013, 11:07
Try Numrich, they have it. Rear guard screw. Get a spare, they are delicate. :hello::hello:

John Sukey
07-15-2013, 11:18
I don't think this is the rear guard screw. Instead it is the screw keeping the rear of the forend from spreading. The clue here is the fact it is a Mk2 so the tie plate found on the Mk1 cannot be fitted bcause the trigger is hung on the rifle instead of the trigger guard.
I would try a local hobby shop since the screw is much like the ones to attach engines to model aircraft. Failing that, try the screw cabinet at your local hardware store for that and the nut.

EO1
07-16-2013, 01:19
An '03 Springfield stock crossbolt will work but is not quite correct.
I'm in the same situation and find myself in need of a couple too.

JB White
07-16-2013, 10:20
Mr. Sukey is on the money in regard to the hardware store bins. Many have made the same 'repair' by using screws and escucheons found there. The thread size & length escapes me now however.
PS. Don't use a Phillips screw. It's just not right. ;)

WHG
08-01-2013, 02:58
Well I didn't have much luck finding a correct screw, so I decided to make my own. I took the screw out of one of my other rifles to use as a guide, and found a screw at a hobby shop that was very close to the same thread size. I put two nuts on it and tightened them as tight as I could without damaging the threads. I then put it in my drill press and used a file to shape the nuts to match the escucheon diameter. Using a Moto-Tool and a cutting wheel I cut a slot on one end of my "new" escucheon. The next step was to cut the screw to the same length as my guide. I cleaned up the end of the screw with a file, and then heated everything with a heat gun. When everything was nice and warm I applied bluing solution. When it's installed on the rifle you can't tell the difference between it and a real one. I'll still be on the lookout for a correct screw, but for now my home made one will do just fine, and the price was right- 33 cents & about 1 hr of my time.

seagoatami
08-05-2013, 09:01
Well I didn't have much luck finding a correct screw, so I decided to make my own. I took the screw out of one of my other rifles to use as a guide, and found a screw at a hobby shop that was very close to the same thread size. I put two nuts on it and tightened them as tight as I could without damaging the threads. I then put it in my drill press and used a file to shape the nuts to match the escucheon diameter. Using a Moto-Tool and a cutting wheel I cut a slot on one end of my "new" escucheon. The next step was to cut the screw to the same length as my guide. I cleaned up the end of the screw with a file, and then heated everything with a heat gun. When everything was nice and warm I applied bluing solution. When it's installed on the rifle you can't tell the difference between it and a real one. I'll still be on the lookout for a correct screw, but for now my home made one will do just fine, and the price was right- 33 cents & about 1 hr of my time.

way to go, was wondering if you were going to give up till a tailor made one appeared. makes me feel good to know that the art of making do with what you have is still alive and kicking. This throw away society we now live in isnt helping anyone. New things are made with obsolessence built into the products. When things break there is no way to repair them , just have to throw it in the trash. I personally like to make things last as long as I possibly can. I dont think its cause im cheap I think its cause I dont like to see things go to waste, when they can be fixed and new life given to them. And this goes especially for fire arms