PDA

View Full Version : Need more info re: my grandfather's Krag

jonbron
07-08-2013, 05:24
Posted this to CalGuns earlier today and was redirected here.

My grandfather passed away recently and left me a beautiful 1898 Krag. Since I know practically nothing about Krags (and weapons from that era in general) I was hoping you guys could enlighten me.

Here are some pics:

JBinIll
07-08-2013, 05:39
The more technically versed will probably be along later.It's a United States Magazine Rifle Model 1898 aka Krag that has been sporterized,probably for hunting use.

Rick the Librarian
07-08-2013, 06:55
Briefly, the Krag was a Norwegian design that was adopted by the U.S. in the early 1890s. There were several models, including the 1892, 1896 and 1898, as well as the 1896, 1898 and 1899 carbines. Your rifle is the most common - the Model 1898. Your rifle was manufactured towards the end of Krag production, probably about 1902-1903. The Krag was replaced in service by the M1903 Springfield.

The Krag saw a lot of active service in it's relatively short service life - Spanish-American War, Boxer Rebellion, Philippine Insurrection, and several banana wars in Latin America and the Caribbean. They even saw limited service in training and in the rear areas in France during WWI.

Krags were sold through the DCM and other sources for as little as a few dollars in the 1920s. As JB said, it was quite common to cut them down and sporterize them. They were the first military bolt action rifle used in large numbers.

ebeeby
07-08-2013, 07:15
One more point - they are delightful shooters and quite accurate if in good condition.

Mark Daiute
07-08-2013, 08:16
Can't see the rear sight. Could be a 1901 sight. Your rifle is missing the handguard. It looks like your stock has a lot of figure. It doesn't have the orange hue of the Italian Walnut stocks but it, from the photo it looks like there's a lot of figure. Send us photos of the port side of the wrist and some photos of the rear sight. A photo of the wrist just behind the trigger guard would be nice as well. Id like to see how the woodworker removed the forestock. How bout a photo of the front of the stock?

I sure wish I had a rifle like that from my Grandfather!!

psteinmayer
07-09-2013, 02:39
What is the length of the barrel? It looks to be a full length (30 inch), but can't tell because the front sight appears to be covered in the pictures. Measure the barrel by dropping a cleaning rod down the muzzle against the closed bolt. Mark the rod and then measure it. Standard length would be 30 inches. A true carbine would be 22 inches, but yours should not have a carbine barrel. Anything less than 30 inches would most likely be a cutdown.

Very nice Krag... It should provide you decades of wonderful shooting!

jon_norstog
07-09-2013, 08:25
jonbron,

Inheriting is the best way to get an old gun, IMHO. You get the story along with the rifle, and if you care to, you can write that story down and pass it on. The Krag is a work of the 19th-century machinist's art, a pleasure to look at as well as to shoot. The Krag round will knock down elk and is almost too much for deer. And 'cause of their abundance and low cost, Krags were the first high-power smokeless repeaters a lot of hunters got. A lot of families were fed through the depression with game brought down with Krag rifles.

And that's just the history of those guns after their military service. Like Rick says, the Krag saw a lot of action, most of it in tropical climes.

jn

Rick the Librarian
07-09-2013, 08:29
One of my memories of the Krag, involved a time I took my 1898 to the range during a hunter sight-in. Several old-timers had to come over and look at it. A couple said that was the first bolt-action high powered rifle they owned.

jonbron
07-09-2013, 09:25
Thanks so much for the great info everyone! It means a lot to me to know more about the history of this weapon.

I asked my grandma, and she said that my grandfather had inherited the rifle from HIS father, who used it for hunting in the Michigan wilderness at the turn of the century. Cool stuff.

psteinmayer and Mark Daiute - I will take additional pics and post them in a week or so - I dropped the rifle off at a gunsmith yesterday for a cleaning, considering that the rifle hadn't been removed from its case for at least a decade.

Thanks again for the info, and I'll post more pics when I get a chance.

Rick the Librarian
07-09-2013, 09:57
At one point, if I remember correctly, Krags were being sold for the munificent price of exactly $1.50 through the DCM in the 1920s. Even considering the vastly lower prices/wages of that era, the Krag was a good deal.

gtodan
07-09-2013, 04:00
If I see the serial number correctly yours is a 1898 model manufactured in 1903. It is considered a fourth and last model Krag. The 1903 Springfield replaced it. If the barrel has not been cutdown, which I dont believe it has, you can piece in a forearm and have a full rifle. I have done it and it turns out pretty nice. This website has alot of info on a project like this one. Enjoy....

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/index.php

Mark Daiute
07-10-2013, 04:53
Ordinarily I'd be with gtodan on this one. I'm always on the prowl for a Krag "in the wild" to "restore" but in this case you know the rifle's history and who had it, I'd probably keep it as is. The way your grandfather had it and used it. That's one of the reasons I wanted to see the end of the forearm. It looks like a better chop job than most.

Rick the Librarian
07-10-2013, 07:16
I would also keep it "as-is". That's the way your grandfather saw it and used it.

Griff Murphey
07-10-2013, 09:22
As it is an heirloom I would leave it as is. I suspect it will be a fine hunting arm. But be aware that if the barrel is still at full length, that adds greatly to the value simply because today the "as issue" ones are prized by vintage military match target shooters and collectors, and it is if still full length, easily "restored."

That said, the value of the piece to you and your kids cannot be expressed in dollars and cents! Just don't do anything more TO it! The cleaning and gunsmith check is fine... There is a trick to getting the bolt out and the gunsmith can tell you about that and the magazine cut off so be sure to ask for a demo when you pick it up.

Congrats!

jon_norstog
07-10-2013, 09:52
+1 leave it as is, shoot it, pass it down. Write up the story and put it under the buttplate or in the trap.

jn

Greg H. in Virginia
07-27-2013, 11:48
I wonder if that's why the bolt knob on my '98 Krag is dark and pitted, as if it had been handled by sweaty palms in damp tropical climes somewhere?

dave
07-28-2013, 06:43
I see allot of Krags with dark bolt knobs, even up the handle. Some so smooth they look blued (it is just another form of "rust blueing"). And I'm sure its from sweaty hands.

habu1
08-08-2013, 02:40
JB, Krags are really nice rifles and if you wish to bring it back to "original" configuration then I would recommend S&S Firearms(ssfirearms.comm) for needed parts. I've used them as a resource for many years. Good folks , good product and good service. You will be surprised what they have in their catalog that you may like.