PDA

View Full Version : Looking at my 1st Krag, help appreciated!

artyldr01
07-06-2013, 07:17
Good Morning,

I have been collecting milsurps for a while but this is my first foray into the Krag world. I am looking at an 1899 Krag Carbine and would love some advice. I haven't received my Poyer book yet so anything you can advise.

SN: 349836

Doesn't appear cut down

I can't read the cartouche on left wrist of the stock. It also has circular stamp under wrist that I can't quite make out.

Barrel band has "U" with the top facing the front sight.

There is some scratches on both sides of the muzzle under the front sight, not sure if is just storage wear being leaned up in a safe or something questionable.

It is on consignment for $1000. I am contemplating trading as down payment a Hatcher hole'd April 1942 Remington M1903 that has had it's stock sporterized and is too expensive to get the right stock and hardware for (for me).

Any information on date of manufacture, details that confirm or deny what this is, is also appreciated!

Is this Krag something to jump on immediately, just an average deal or run away and hide? Thanks from a first time newbie!

CPT Niels Hansen
US Army

artyldr01
07-06-2013, 07:18
Here are a few more photos.

Thanks!

Niels

artyldr01
07-06-2013, 07:45
Well, just realized there are no sling swivels on it. I suspect now stock has been at least refinished/altered. Not worth 1G to me...Sorry for the false alarm!

Mark Daiute
07-06-2013, 07:51
How is the bore? Is the rear sight marked with a "C"? (I can't recall if it's on the left side of the base or the right). Looks like the stock might have been sanded a little, that's why the cartouche is so faint. The bluing is largely gone, especially on the receiver. Will they come down on the price? Will your Remington get you within half way of the cost of the rifle?

Seems to me that recently a Model 1899 went for considerably less than 1k on GB. I'll let the knowledgeable guys evaluate the rifle for you but it appears to be all that it purports to be and I prefer the 1901 sight which is the one you have there.

artyldr01
07-06-2013, 08:03
Well...just read that carbines don't have sling swivels and that the 1899 might NOT have saddle ring...I am confused. That book can't get here fast enough!

Dick Hosmer
07-06-2013, 08:11
I do not see any technical errors at all (it's not supposed to have sling swivels - though a few had them added) but I'd want one with more finish for that price. Stock has been sanded. Inspectors cartouche appears to be dated 1901, which would be correct, and the (P) is right, just faint. Cannot explain the scratches, unless they came from a sight cover. I would put it as an "average" deal.

artyldr01
07-06-2013, 08:28
In my haste I failed to look at the bore or notice any "C" markings on the sights. The bluing does look rough on the receiver, but honestly didn't think I should expect any different.

Dick, I'm amazed you can see ANYTHING out of that cartouche!

I at least now feel calmed down enough to make a semi-rational decision. With a sanded stock and bluing issues (pending bore condition), I think I'll offer something less than $1000.

Thanks as always for calming the OCD collector in me!

Rick the Librarian
07-06-2013, 09:41
Definitely in better condition than the 1899 I picked up (see my thread a little ways down.) Watch out - Krag carbines are habit-forming! :D

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?39642-Krag-1899-Carbine-quot-project-gun-quot-arrives

artyldr01
07-06-2013, 09:45
Rick, I've determined they are ALL habit forming just depends on whether it is high-end "uncut" stuff like M1s, 1903s, Krags, k98s etc or the common "street drug" like Mosin Nagants, Lee Enfields, and non-Wermacht Mausers!

Mark Daiute
07-06-2013, 10:54
do you have much in the Remington? I'm gonna go out on a limb. If I wanted an 1899 and that one popped up I'd be pretty tempted to go for yours for 1 k or less if I could. Especially if the rear sight is properly marked and the bore is good to excellent.

Rick the Librarian
07-06-2013, 01:03
do you have much in the Remington? I'm gonna go out on a limb. If I wanted an 1899 and that one popped up I'd be pretty tempted to go for yours for 1 k or less if I could. Especially if the rear sight is properly marked and the bore is good to excellent.

Me, too. I just don't see many carbines with original parts going for less than $1000, and usually considerably more. I got lucky on one about a year ago, paid @ $875 for one and then, of course, the "clunker" I reported earlier.

artyldr01
07-06-2013, 08:55
Mark, Couple problems I have is the M1903 is correct except for missing ALL correct stock/metal etc. and the place where the Krag is, is the same place I bought the '03! So, he knows what I paid and certainly won't give me that much for!