PDA

View Full Version : My first Carbine (Bluesky) Input appreciated!

artyldr01
07-05-2013, 07:20
I just put my first M1 Carbine on layaway and wanted to see what everyone thinks. Bearing in mind I'm looking for a good "historical" weapon that I can take to the range occassionally but not necessarily a hard core "shooter." I don't mind "arsenal rebuilds" but if it is a "importer rebuild" I think I'll reconsider. It does have some early features. Here are the details:

Inland SN: 4908475
Barrel Date: 1-44 PLUS second date of 7-58 heavier struck with a symbol above it I can't ID (Korean re-inspection?).
Type III Rear signt
Type III Barrel Band
Flat top bolt
push button safety
Type III Magazine release
Earlier charging handle (not angled)
Stock appears unmarked from what I can tell.
Handguard appears to be original vintage (more shine/wear/patina? than stock)
$699. (In general I think ALL M1 Carbines are too high so I can't tell if this is a good price or not)

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated by this newbie to the M1 Carbine.

Thanks!

artyldr01
07-05-2013, 07:21
Thanks again!

jjrothWA
07-05-2013, 08:05
Get the combined DOD 1953 Carbine manual for doing a detailed inspection. Kuhnhausen did a M1 Carbine manual, also a good reference.
What stock markings? [Stampings or paint].
Check the muzzle wear by lightly inserting a M2 bullet in muzzle and measuring the distance between the bullet cannalure and the barrel, 3/16"or greater minimal wear, swallows the bullet MAJOR wear and need to rebarrel.

Look at the feed ramp, if rought then light polish with 300/600 grit on dowel rod and minimize stuttering of ammo. [especially, soft-noe for HD use]
Retract bolt as see if gaspiston drops slowly into view, may need to detail it.
Good Luck!

Johnny in Texas
07-05-2013, 11:43
A little high for a BLUESKY import but it looks very nice and condition is vg-exel. so see how it shoots and enjoy it. I got to cherry pick 50 Bluesky M1 carbines about 22 years ago. I bought 10 of them and except for the wood about 35 to 40 were vg to exel cond. about half had a repaired stock or beat up Korean stock.

ebeeby
07-05-2013, 05:28
Is there a Bluesky stamp on the barrel? If so, do you have a photo of that?

Art
07-05-2013, 09:31
Nice carbine. Price varies according to location. I haven't seen a decent carbine around here for less than $800.00 in a long time so I don't think the price is bad at all. That's a 1958 barrel so it ought to be quite good. Enjoy it.

Johnny in Texas
07-05-2013, 10:29
It is a Inland '44 barrel remarked -58. I have never seen that type of rebuild date marking on at the barrel.

joem
07-06-2013, 08:33
A few years ago I bought 5 diget Inland (blusky) for $240.00. It needed a good clean up and the dents steamed out but it's a good shooter.

artyldr01
07-06-2013, 09:38
Thanks for all the feedback. I didn't take a photo of the import stamp though it was incomplete, I could only read "ky Arlington, VA" since it was stamped towards the muzzle and of the raised portion of the barrel.

I thought the double barrel date odd as well.

I didn't see any stamps in the sling well indicating manufacture. That and the rough wood makes me think it is a korean made stock. That would be all I would replace, but I learned with my 1942 Remington M1903 that can be pricy, hopefully not for a low wood Inland.

I do like that it has many features that COULD be original or at least correct for the manufacture date. I know imports don't command a premium but actually probably have as or more interesting history than "correct" weapons.

I just got my updated "Wartime M1 Carbines" so that should help keep me from asking so many questions!