PDA

View Full Version : Can the average Joe oil blacken?

rifles4me
07-04-2013, 06:48
I was thinking about grabbing this old semi-sported No.4 from one of the local shops for a possible restoration/rebuild project. It hasn't been altered other than the timber cut down just behind the center band and the "hook" sanded down on the butt stock. Clearly a simple job but the finish is gone and covered with a very light surface rust that hasn't begun pitting and rubs away with my thumb.

If I remember correctly it was dated 1942 and produced by Maltby(my fav) so an oil blackened finish would be correct. Now with the above being said, how should I go about doing it? The only info I have is that the metal has to be heated and dropped into oil, can anyone get more into detail of oil blackening pertaining to Lee Enfield / British service rifles? I would appreciate it greatly

IditarodJoe
07-07-2013, 06:59
I'd also be interested in any feedback from those who have done do-it-yourself oil blackening. There are a number of pins, springs, and other small parts I might like to try it on.

John Sukey
07-09-2013, 08:35
All you need is the tank to hold the oil, and a heat source. Not worth the effort
However for small bits like screws, simply heat with a propane torch until they turn blue and quickly drop them in a small container of motor oil

rumpelhardt
07-10-2013, 09:53
I oil blackened the magazine on my Long Branch. It came out pretty good and has held up fine. This is my only attempt to date.
Look about 2/3 the way down. Pictures don't show it very well because of the bright sunlight.
http://bobsstuffandnonsense.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-ongoing-project-1941-long-branch-no.html

I don't think the grill would work on anything made of much thicker metal. You would probably need more heat.

joem
07-11-2013, 04:27
I oil blackened several cap and ball pistol barrels for guns I made from kits. I didn't heat it blue but it was pretty darn hot. I dropped them in motor oil and they came out black and shiny. It has held up better than cold blue. I heated the barrels and parts in the oven (wife was shopping) to 400 then used a propane torch for more heat.

Scott from Indiana
07-14-2013, 07:41
I remember blackening some Enfield parts quite a while ago. I seem to recall that the recommendation was for used motor oil, olive oil or something comparable. My results with new motor oil were not as good, something about the extra carbon in the used oil made it work better. The new oil had additives in it that degraded the blackening process, in the used oil they were partially depleted.

joem
07-14-2013, 02:53
Could be Scott. It was a while back and I may had had some used oil from my tractor.