PDA

View Full Version : Camp Perry...

psteinmayer
07-02-2013, 07:03
Just wanted to say that I hope we all do great this year!!! I hope to meet a few more of my Krag friends from here. I'll be arriving on Friday morning at around 5:00 AM to get checked in... Then I'll go find Bob (Madsenshooter). If you see me, say hello... I'm the portly guy in the picture below (from last year's match)!

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Paul_Steinmayer/Cast%20Bullet%20Match/PaulShootingday1.jpg

jon_norstog
07-03-2013, 09:01
Good luck!

jn

Dick Hosmer
07-04-2013, 07:32
Good luck, Paul.

Is the hasty sling permitted? If not, have you tried resting your arm on your hip, if that is allowed? I'm an old gallery shooter, and your position - unless it was just posed for fun - is the least steady of the offhand variations, as it depends on muscle support alone.

Bob S
07-04-2013, 09:51
Good luck, Paul.

Is the hasty sling permitted?

No.

If not, have you tried resting your arm on your hip, if that is allowed?

Yes, The hip rest is allowed, but the back bend and twist that is needed to make this work properly cannot be done in those "hardback" coats. In Scheutzen, where those coats are not allowed, this position rules, and impressive scores are fired on a much, much more challenging target (German Ring) than the NRA SR, and using lead alloy bullets at about 1400 fps (very long barrel time!) Just sayin' ......

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Dick Hosmer
07-04-2013, 10:28
But do not Scheutzen rifles use the palm rest, which, with hip rest, makes a pretty steady platform?

jon_norstog
07-04-2013, 04:54
Paul,

All you need is a blue-and-tan outfit and a bunch of angry Spanish infantry coming at you!

jn

psteinmayer
07-04-2013, 06:47
LOL Jon...

Dick, I now have a 1907 sling (original, not repro) installed. I really didn't know about off-hand shooting last year... as that was my first National Match. I hope to do much, much better this year!

Bob S
07-07-2013, 05:00
But do not Scheutzen rifles use the palm rest, which, with hip rest, makes a pretty steady platform?

Yes, you can. I have but one rifle with a palm rest ... the others I shoot with thumb and forefingers on the foreend; gives about the same height. Yes, I even shot the M1 this way.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

madsenshooter
07-07-2013, 10:12
I have enough bend and twist left in me to use the hip rest, and get a little push back into the shoulder from grasping the front of the magazine box. I liked the 20rd magazine on an M1A better. Actually was using the hold today, making little rocks out of big rocks in an old mine area. Those hard coats are supposedly not allowed anymore, (rule 4.8.1 CMP Games Rules), but guys have hundreds of dollars in them, they're going to use them, and I doubt there's much happening in the way of enforcement. http://www.thecmp.org/Competitions/CMPGamesRules.pdf Paul's lucky he got that pic, he handed me his phone, I don't know to use them, and don't wanna know, but the scorer next to me got the pic for him.

gnoahhh
07-08-2013, 10:18
Envious of you guys shooting at Camp Perry with your Krags. Wish I could join you, but a barely flexible/mobile body doesn't allow for much in the way of position shooting anymore!

psteinmayer
07-08-2013, 05:04
Hell, this fat ole body barely makes it down for the prone anymore with my bad hip and back, but I ain't letting that stop me this year. I'm going to need a cane and a chair to help me get back up from prone. I'll probably need to take the tram to the targets too this year. I hope next year to be in much better physical shape!

Isn't there some provisions in the rules for shooters with mobility issues? if so... then you may be able to shoot anyway Gnoahhh.

1903rifleman
07-14-2013, 03:54
I will be there hope to meet some of you this year.

MAG-63
07-23-2013, 08:24
While I've never done it, I have wanted to shoot my 03A3 in competition there. My Krag has a cut down barrel. Is a "carbine " allowed per the rules? I would really like to meet and shoot with you guys next year.

madsenshooter
07-23-2013, 10:56
The Springfield match is shot at the same time as the Vintage match. We won't pick on the Krag's younger brother! Your Krag wouldn't be Vintage match legal, but there's plenty of them out there!

MAG-63
07-23-2013, 12:28
The Springfield match is shot at the same time as the Vintage match. We won't pick on the Krag's younger brother! Your Krag wouldn't be Vintage match legal, but there's plenty of them out there!

Well I guess it's time to start looking for a companion to the carbine!

Mark Daiute
07-23-2013, 01:26
Who's shooting when? I'll be out there for the Springfield Match and the Vintage Rifle Match on Friday.

madsenshooter
07-23-2013, 02:19
Paul and I will be there Fri AM for the Vintage match, then Sat AM for the Garand match. I'm going to try hard not to leave my rapid fire rounds back in the car this year! Never a kid around when you need them, you know someone that could've trotted the 1600yds to and fro to fetch them for me.

M2Phil
07-23-2013, 04:02
I'll be there Friday shooting a P.M. relay with a Krag, and Sat P.M. relay with the M1. Hope to see some of you guys there. If not, Best of Luck to everybody.

psteinmayer
07-23-2013, 07:04
Look for Bob and me.... Just see my pic at the start of this thread and look for that guy, LOL!

MAG-63
08-01-2013, 09:09
Good luck to all of you guys heading to Camp Perry this weekend. Be sure to give us a full report!

psteinmayer
08-01-2013, 12:54
Will do! It's going to be a great match this year!

Mark Daiute
08-01-2013, 02:46
Will be shooting Krags in the morning and Spring
fields in tne PM Look us up

psteinmayer
08-01-2013, 04:21
Will Do Mark! Looking forward to shaking your hand!

MAG-63
08-02-2013, 05:21
I look forward to being there next year. I plan to shoot a '98 Krag and a 1903A3.

madsenshooter
08-03-2013, 08:54
The more the merrier! Draft schedule for next year has it happening a couple weeks earlier.

MAG-63
08-09-2013, 05:07
Just back in the States from the Middle-East and ready to begin working-up some accuracy loads with my Krag. First-up is slugging the bore a making a cerrosafe casting of the chamber. Then I will know if I can stick with jacketed bullets or start thinking cast.