PDA

View Full Version : Question About R Marks or Lack of Same on 03A3 Fittings and RA Marks on Stocks

Ironlip
07-02-2013, 01:05
I have an early 03A3 with SN 3729870 and Bbl Date 4-43. The stock has pins and not screws and is marked only with FJA and the ordnance stamp below the cut-off. The bayonet band, stacking swivel and band, upper sling swivel and band, and buttplate are all blued. The lower sling swivel and mount may be blued or may be parked. Of these parts only the bayonet band is R marked. Actually I'm not sure about the buttplate because I've not removed it.

I also have an early stock with pins marked in the same way. Its stacking swivel and band and upper sling swivel and band are blued. Again the lower swivel and mount may be black parked or may be blued. And again, none of these parts are R marked. The bayonet band on this rifle is parked and has no markings. It may be a Smith-Corona part.

I also have a later 03A3 with SN 4057169 and Bbl Date 9-43 that appears to be original in all respects. Its bayonet band, stacking swivel and band and upper sling swivel and band are all blued. The lower swivel and mount and buttplate are parked. On this rifle, the bayonet band, stacking swivel and upper sling swivel are all R marked. The stock on this rifle has the RA stamp as well as FJA and the Ordnance stamp. It has screws rather than pins.

So here are the questions: When did R marks begin to appear on the bayonet band, stacking swivel and upper sling swivel? When did the RA marks begin to appear on Remington stocks? When did screws replace pins?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Rick

chuckindenver
07-02-2013, 06:08
R stamps on metal were used all through production. no R on the part...not Remington.
not real sure on the pins and bolts part, i belive Rick knows this.
lack of RA could be a SC stock.
R
RS
RP all were used by Remington during production....Roller Smith. Rochester Propducs.

Rick the Librarian
07-02-2013, 06:28
Stock pins started being used on late Remington M1903s in late 1942 - I don't have a "specific", but probably Sept/Oct., 1942. Stock bolts were re-introduced on mid-range M1903A3s about summer, 1943. There was a period of transition on both changes.

I agree with Chuck - if a part lacked the "R" it was not manufactured by Remington. Sometimes, they are "hidden" and you have to look carefully.

emmagee1917
07-02-2013, 10:10
The RA mark on the stocks began when SC started production or a very short time later , I believe . Before that the FJA was proof that Remington made it.
Chris

Rick the Librarian
07-02-2013, 03:33
The RA mark on the stocks began when SC started production or a very short time later , I believe . Before that the FJA was proof that Remington made it.
Chris

Actually, it was several months after that the RA began appearing - SC started production in the fall of 1942.

Mike D
07-02-2013, 05:36
Just remember that the lower band and upper stacking swivel band were never marked with an "R", or anything for Rem or SC, (the bayo band was). The lower band/sling swivel, and the upper band/stacking swivel were as one after the swivel screw was swaged (correct term?). So just the swivels were stamped with an "R". No stamp for SC.

The "RA" stamp on the stock was phased in about the same time as the stock bolts were re-introduced. I have seen Rem stocks with screws, with and with out the "RA" stamp. I can't recall seeing a Rem stock with bolts, but without the "RA"?

Mike

Rick the Librarian
07-04-2013, 09:17
Picking up on what Mikes says, ANY changes introduced by Remington were transitioned in - there was not a strict "starting" and "stopping" point. As rifles were not processed in serial number order, there are some cases of the changes being seen on EARLIER rifle serial numbers and NOT seen on LATER serial numbers.

One reason I get amused by people that state that "exactly" so-many Remington M1903s and so many Remington Modified rifles were manufactured.

John Beard
07-04-2013, 12:29
As a matter of note, the M'03-A3 stacking band and lower band were regarded as "assemblies." As Mike D pointed out, the swivels were installed and the screws were swaged to form a permanent assembly. Afterwards, they were not intended to be disassembled. Placing an "R" mark on the swivel, therefore, was deemed to be sufficient marking to identify the manufacturer of the assembly.

J.B.

Ironlip
07-05-2013, 12:34
After receiving all of this fine input I went back and looked more closely at SN 3729870. The base for the lower sling swivel is R marked. And, after energetically removing some dried on cosmoline, I found R marks on both the stacking swivel and the upper sling swivel. Both of these stamps are faint, but they are there. In both cases they were on the side of the swivel that lays up against the stock.

Picking up on what Chuck said, I base my conclusion that both stocks with pins are Remington on the research that contends that the cut for the upper band retaining spring is square on Remington stocks and rounded on Smith stocks.

Thanks for the responses.

Rick