PDA

View Full Version : need springfield 1903 rear-sight help

bampa
06-30-2013, 05:12
I need to replace the rear-sight drift on my Springfield 1903. Is it just a matter of taking out the slide cap screw in order to take out the old drift and put in the new? What do I do about the pin in the slide cap? Thanks in advance for any replies....

mhb
06-30-2013, 05:24
yes. All you need do is remove the slide cap screw, separate the slide halves by prying them apart just enough to free the slide insert and permit it to be removed - do not remove the pin or completely remove the slide cap. Insert the replacement, making sure the stud enters its recess in the slide cap, and replace the screw.

mhb - Mike

Fred
06-30-2013, 06:27
Interesting method. Whenever I've straightened out often bent slides, I've had to remove the pin, then the screw first in order to get the slide off. I would use a short section of needle held with needle nose players and a small hammer to drive out the pin which must be done from the bottom upwards.
It's good to learn that to replace a sight insert, the pin can be left in.

John Beard
06-30-2013, 07:10
I need to replace the rear-sight drift on my Springfield 1903. Is it just a matter of taking out the slide cap screw in order to take out the old drift and put in the new? What do I do about the pin in the slide cap? Thanks in advance for any replies....

In order to replace the rear sight drift slide, you must remove both the screw on the left side and the drift pin on the right side. The drift pin drives out best from top to bottom. It's best to place the rear sight on a wooden block for support before removing the drift pin. Once the drift pin has been partially removed, it can usually be grasped with pliers and pulled out the bottom.

The slide cap is dovetailed into the right side. After the screw and pin have been removed, the slide cap can then be tapped to the left to disengage the dovetail.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

J.B.

Vi Shooter
07-02-2013, 06:36
I would remove the pin, myself, rather than bend up the slide. I use a soft pine support and drive the pin partly out and into the pine then pluck it out with pliers much as JB has described.

Just my 20 mills,
Vi

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903/slide%20parts.jpg

bampa
07-10-2013, 05:11
Thanks for all the advice. I figured I would try mhb's method first because it would be the easiest, and it worked just fine. I was able to pull the old drift and place the new one by just removing the screw and then just gently prying a bit. I didn't bend the slide. It took about two minutes....