PDA

View Full Version : Is UPS the best way to ship 2,204 rounds of British 303 Ammo all at once?

Fred
06-29-2013, 10:53
The two ammo cans have 503 rounds and 264 rounds in them.
The two cases of ammo have 768 rounds and 672 rounds in them (three boxes of 32 rounds each being used out of the 2nd case). I don't know what they weigh, but that is only a matter of shipping cost.
So, would I need to label the shipping boxes in a specific manner?

I haven't decided to sell the ammo yet, but if I figure on a price that I'd want for it all, I'll probably be needing to know how in the world to ship it to the buyer, that is if I find someone to buy it all.

ebeeby
06-30-2013, 06:56
Fred - Who is the maker?

dave
06-30-2013, 07:18
Shipping will cost more then ammo is worth, even at to-days prices. I once sent a 50 rd box of .380 pistoal ammo to B-in-L in GA---cost over 10 bucks, air over nite is the way it had to go.

Tuna
06-30-2013, 07:41
Can't ship ammo by air per Federal regulations. It has to go ground and by the weight of it I would guess it's not going to be cheap. Cost me $65 to ship 750 rounds of .45 ball across the country with UPS. I would suggest that if you do ship it that you take the loose ammo out of the cases and cans, put it in heavy large zip bags and ship in cardboard boxes. The ammo in 32 round boxes can be just put in a box and shipped. Anything to save weight. You may have to use several boxes if for nothing else then a weight restriction per package. Of course the closer someone is who buys it the cheaper it is to ship. If you do ship then each box must be marked with a sticker that had ORM D on it as required by federal regulations.

Fred
06-30-2013, 07:56
Fred - Who is the maker?

The two wooden cases full of ammo (1,440 rounds total) were made in Pakistan in 1966 and 1967 by Pakistan Ordnance Factories, Wah Cantt, Pakistan.
The 264 rounds in the ammo can on the right in the picture are from South Africa. 1981 production
The 503 rounds in the other ammo can are dated 1944 and 1945 and were, I believe, made by Royal Laboratory, Woolwich, England. I pulled them out of cloth Vickers Machinegun belts. It's all Mk VII and NOT Mk VIII. That means that it can be used in rifles.

You can see pictures of each head stamp in Posts #7 & #8 of the thread... "Remington .303 British 174 gr. FMJ Ammo."

ebeeby
06-30-2013, 08:16
A pal of mine just bought a very nice Savage Lewis gun and I know he is looking for some non-corrosive 303....

Fred
06-30-2013, 08:35
I don't know if the Maxim Machinegun ammo is corrosive or non corrosive. However it's in great shape and is clean. The other ammo is very clean too. some of the bullets are tarnished, but that's from laying around here for years. Can't say if it's corrosive or not, but that shouldn't matter to anyone who properly cleans their weapons after firing them. Otherwise, they wouldn't have made it. I know that military .303 of any type in Large quantities (by the case) is very difficult if not near impossible to find today.

Tuna
06-30-2013, 08:20
The machine gun ammo from the belts is corrosive primed. The Pakistan ammo is 50/50 as to being corrosive primed. Most of it is considered to be click-bang or just duds and it all depends on how well it was stored before getting here. Some of it is real good and most of it isn't. The SA is excellent ammo and non corrosive.

Fred
06-30-2013, 10:32
I've fired 96 rounds of the Pakistani and none of it failed. There were no "click Booms". Corrosive ammo is OK as long as a person or soldier doesn't forget to clean the bore of his weapon. How could a civilian who isn't waging a battle forget to clean the bore of his rifle?

broom jockey
07-01-2013, 06:56
FedEx has shipped all my ammo.

Fred
07-01-2013, 07:30
FedEx! I didn't know that they'd ship ammo. Will I need a license or any special permit to ship such a quantity of ammo or will they just take care of the whole thing and stick the proper labels on the boxes? Also, have you any guesstimate of what it might cost to ship it all 600 or so miles away? Thanks broom jockey. Fred

raymeketa
07-01-2013, 07:56
Both UPS and FedEx can ship live ammunition via Ground. But, the devil is in the details. In some locations, UPS is the best. In other locations, FedEx is the best. You need to go by their hubs and ask them directly. Don't be surprised if you get two completely different answers. Also, be prepared to go to a hub in another location if you get no satisfaction from your local guys. You can generally find another hub no more than 25 miles away and, at times, that 25 miles is like going to a different world.

JMHO

Fred
07-01-2013, 08:22
Thanks Ray!

Tuna
07-01-2013, 12:09
If you have them package it and the rest it will cost you even more. You will have to break it down into separate boxes as there is weight limitations on how much a box weighs. You can call both of them and ask the heaviest the box can be. For 600 miles I would hazard a guess of about $30+ per 35 pounds.

Fred
07-01-2013, 12:19
Thanks Tuna!

Dan Shapiro
07-01-2013, 04:03
You'll have to put stickers like this on the outside.

Fred
07-01-2013, 05:25
I sure appreciate that bit of information Dan. A buddy of mine who owns a guns store has told me today that I can use clearly printed magic marker for the ORM-D within a rectangle box and then clearly print with a black pen the "CARTRIDGES, SMALL ARMS" above it. Think that I'll have to do that since I haven't any stickers. He said that I have to have the stickers on THREE sides of the box. Thanks again Dan! Fred

Dan Shapiro
07-02-2013, 07:03
Ray has a very valid point about using a shipping hub. Went to my local, very convenient FedEx store with a package of 20 cartridges, properly marked and boxed. You'd have thought I'd brought in a small nuclear device! "We can't handle that, it's DANGEROUS!" So drove about 20 miles to the nearest "hub". Guys there were competent, intelligent and had me out the door in minutes. As for their 'local neighborhood branches' - they said "Those people are idiots".

Fred
07-02-2013, 07:34
Yea, I ran into that problem at a local UPS store where I wanted to ship an original 176 year old flintlock Pennsylvania Long Rifle. They maintained that it was a dangerous firearm and refused to take it. So, I drove to the UPS Hub where they Still maintained that it was a firearm, but they at least received it there for shipping.