PDA

View Full Version : WWII M1911A1 Value, Shoot or Restore

GolfBravoUSMC
06-29-2013, 05:52
A person I know was transporting two pistols to the Police to turn in for destruction. We discussed them and I offered to purchase them if they had any value. I wanted to clean them up and possibly test fire them if appropriate. The Baretta turned out to be a 1915 in poor shape. (Paper weight)

The Colt was a different story (Serial Number Range 736,xxx). The weapon had belonged to his Uncle, a WWII Veteran. The Colt had not been fired in more than 30 years and in fact was coated in cosmoline.

The weapon cleaned up quite nicely with no pits or problems with the barrel.

I took it to the range and put 25 rounds through it. I lost track of 6 rounds, they probably went through the hole in the middle of a tight group.

Here are some facts I've been trying to research on the web:

"P" near Mag release
"RS" Field Service Stamp by Disconnector (R Scratched)
"RS"& "G" on top rear of Receiver
Hammer Type 4 Wide Spur
Checkered Mainspring Housing
* The Bad *
Barrel not Original? Blued with Interlaced HP on top and Small G in front of lugs (1919 1911 "Black Army"?)
Walnut Grips older large diamond mismatched
Ugh!!! Serial Number on Receiver (ends in 3) and Slide (ends in 2)

Complete Photo Gallery of Weapon Here: (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/GolfBravoUSMC/library/M1911A1?sort=3&page=1)

ebeeby
06-29-2013, 07:56
"*The Bad*" ???

Rescued from destruction, has a VERY cool one digit difference in slide and frame, and an overall quite nice finish. I'm guessing that since it was headed to the local PS, you purchased it for WELL below market.

I just don't see any "bad" in that story. But, if it will make you happy you can sell it to me!

westgard
06-30-2013, 02:50
you made a great save and got a geat gun in the process! CONGRATS!

u136953
06-30-2013, 08:08
It is not unusual for early pistols to have a 1 or 2 off mismatch on receiver/slide serial number. Many experts may chime in as to how this occurred, but it is not unusual. I would place this as a mid-1941 pistol and would be in the early issue of parkerized Robert Sears inspected pistols, right after the transition from blueing to parkerization. Can't tell the correctness of all parts without more pics (hammer, slide stop, msh). Great find! Grips are not correct, but early double diamond grips, if original, are worth some money. The early HP barrel is also a great find. Congrats!

jeremy69
06-30-2013, 08:38
I would leave it as-is and try to document the provenance with his uncle. Get a letter from the seller stating as such and research his uncle's name. See if there are any service records or photos. Clean it and don't shoot it much or at all.

Three types of 1911 are collectable...
Original
Provenance (yours)
Arsenal rebuilds (arguably recently)

GolfBravoUSMC
06-30-2013, 09:39
u136953

See complete picture gallery of my weapon here (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/GolfBravoUSMC/library/M1911A1?sort=3&page=0)

If you need any further pics of certain areas of interest on the weapon let me know.

Semper Fi

blocker
06-30-2013, 10:07
I would leave it as is. However, if you decide to restore it, I would be happy to talk to you about that barrel! James

u136953
06-30-2013, 10:22
PM Sent

GolfBravoUSMC
06-30-2013, 12:40
I have added closeup views of Walnut double diamond grips to the Photobucket gallery of picture of my 1911A1. You can see complete gallery of weapon HERE (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/GolfBravoUSMC/library/M1911A1?sort=3&page=1)

Even if they are mismatched I would think they individually they would have value for completing someone else's set missing one due to loss or damage?

Wick
07-08-2013, 08:44
Your pistol looks like a peach!

In my unqualified opinion, it looks like a substantially original piece, except for the barrel and grip panels (all of which are easily replaced). Leave it "as is", or replace the incorrect components and sell your "extra" components.

Don't refinish it.

Thanks for sharing!