PDA

View Full Version : Now I can't get the bolt to cock!

Bill R
06-29-2013, 02:01
I lent my son-in-law my m1903. He shot a few rounds, then took it apart to clean it. He said his friend "probably didn't put it back right" Now I can't get the bolt open in normal operation. Something is stopping it. To get it open -- I have to cock the gun by pulling the firing pin knob and rotate the safety up (mid position) then operate the bolt to open. I just can't figure it out ... any help would be appreciated. Bill

jgaynor
06-29-2013, 02:41
Take a look at the extractor. He may have jammed the bolt in with the extractor at 12 o'clock instead of at 3 o'clock. If you thinj this may be the problem try to open the bolt put the safety to 12. Then use a screw driver to lever the extractor back to its normal position.

If the bolt opens and closes normally another possibilty is the bolt sleeve may not be fully threaded in. If you can take the bolt out pull back on the firing pin sear hook and engage the safety (12 oclock again)
Depress the little silver button on the left rear of the bolt sleeve and unscrew the firing mechanism from from the bolt.
As long as you have gone this far disassemblt the firing mechanism to ensure the striker, firing pin, mainspring and retainer are correctly assembled,
Pull back on the cocking piece and reengage the safety. Screw the firing mechanism back into the bolt.
Make sure the extractor is rotated to 3 o'clock and insert the bolt into the rifle. No force should be necessary. Remember to depress the magazine follower. Engage the magazine cutoff to "ON"

Let us know if you need more help.

Regards,

Jim

Allen Humphrey
06-29-2013, 02:45
Here is a good ref for assembly of the bolt.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/03a3/boltdisassemble/index.asp

John Beard
06-29-2013, 05:13
Can you open the bolt by just cocking it without rotating the safety up? Please advise.

Thanks!

J.B.

Richard H Brown Jr
06-29-2013, 10:11
Make your SIL and *his friend* pay to get it checked by a good 1903/1903a3 smith,, as they might have messed something else up.

RHB

Bill R
06-30-2013, 09:06
I got it !!!!!! After all of the times I've taken the bolt in & out trying to figure this out, It just worked this time and I STILL am not quite sure WHY!!!!! Thanks for all your replies. I'll stay in touch here when I can. Bill

joem
06-30-2013, 03:54
That's the reason I will not lend any of my firearms to anyone for any reason.

Fred
06-30-2013, 05:12
Amen to that. guys will tell you that they know everything there is to know about firearms but will not even be able to remove a bolt or empty a magazine. Best not to ever lend to anyone.

Vi Shooter
07-02-2013, 06:40
My rule for lending guns is the same as my rule for borrowing my truck: "I won't loan you my truck; but you can borrow me and I'll bring my truck."

Vi

JohnMOhio
07-03-2013, 09:23
I remember an old saying, never lend out your wife, horse or gun, but not necessarily in that order.

John

Bill R
07-04-2013, 11:04
I HAVE CERTAINLY LEARNED MY LESSON ON THIS ONE !!!!!!!! NEVER again.

John Beard
07-04-2013, 12:19
I would be "tickled to death" if my son-in-law wanted to borrow my rifle. Indeed, I would gift it to him! And if he broke it, then I would be delighted to help him fix it.

Just my opinion.

J.B.

ClaudeH
07-05-2013, 02:47
I would be "tickled to death" if my son-in-law wanted to borrow my rifle. Indeed, I would gift it to him! And if he broke it, then I would be delighted to help him fix it.

Just my opinion.

J.B.

+1

Fred
07-07-2013, 12:19
I'd be ticked to death if I had a Son in Law.

RickM
07-07-2013, 02:01
Im adoptable john.... just sayin.... wouldnt mind borrowing some of your rifles :-)

Rick the Librarian
07-07-2013, 04:17

I could loan you one of mine!! :D

Fred
07-07-2013, 06:22
I keep wanting our daughter to find and marry a local farm boy who'll appreciate and like our ranch. The wife and I would bequeath it to the daughter and her husband if she could find a hard working country boy and marry him. She isn't bad looking either. It isn't like she cant find a man, it's just that the punks that she's been meeting at college aren't worth a damn. The only one that she's brought home didn't even have an interest in firearms, let alone working hard for a living.

Jim in Salt Lake
07-08-2013, 09:36
I'm getting a son in law next spring. Robbie grew up in rural Ohio with guns in every corner, I really like him. I want to get him a gun as a wedding present, not sure just what yet. If they'd move to Utah, they could borrow every gun I have, so long as they'd let me go along and pull a trigger once in a while. I found a '70s youth Remington 870 Wingmaster, lefthanded, for my daughter. Had the 30" barrel bobbed and screw in chokes installed (why did they put a 30" barrel on a youth gun?). I'd like to find a matching right hand adult size for Robbie, will have to prowl the gun shows and pawn shops. I would be tempted to try to get him into 1903s but they like to throw clays for each other out in their front yard.

ClaudeH
07-10-2013, 06:30

What with the way things are today and only having sons, I thank God I didn't gain any son in law!