PDA

View Full Version : Enders Game

Guamsst
06-27-2013, 12:17
Anyone else read this?

I am not done, probably at page 200. It is a great book but jumps around more like a movie than a book.

My question for anyone who read it is this, does it seem like there is an awful lot of unnecessary mention of naked children in the book? Nothing sexual at all but just seems like every few pages some kid is running around naked.

dryheat
06-27-2013, 12:30
I read it years ago and vaguely remember much about it. It was very interesting how it flows. It's kind of reads like a video game and it get more intense towards the big final battle.

Guamsst
06-27-2013, 12:47
It is disjointed at times and the cutaways do remind me of a video game now that you mention it. Just seems odd that every few pages he mentions that several kids did not have time to get dressed and were running down the halls naked. Or in the fight with Bonso, Ender mentions the advantages Bonso has and then Bonso gets naked too. Just seems weird. Not sure if it is something Freudian or not but it's just very weird to me.

Overall, it has a starship troopers feel to it in a way but with less politics so far.

mhb
06-27-2013, 04:19
now you've got a bunch more books to read - good ones - the continuing story of Ender and his Shadow, Bean.
Don't sweat the nudity - sex plays very little part in the saga, which is worth reading.

mhb - Mike

Guamsst
06-29-2013, 04:05
now you've got a bunch more books to read - good ones - the continuing story of Ender and his Shadow, Bean.
Don't sweat the nudity - sex plays very little part in the saga, which is worth reading.

mhb - Mike

Like I said, there was no sex, it was just odd that there were so many repeated references to naked kids. I finished it. The relationship with the sister seemed odd but as an only child I am not going to say it was a bad representation. Overall, the book was good and interesting. I did feel like it spent too much time setting up other stories but that didn't ruin it, just took a little away from it as a stand alone story.

The way he depicted the military style training was great. I loved that aspect of the mind games.

Guamsst
07-09-2013, 07:48
Just saw that the Gay rights "activists" are protesting and boycotting this film because the author is very vocal about stopping gay marriage. I hope it helps the film as much as it helped Chik Fil A

coastie
07-20-2013, 06:59
Just saw preview of the movie.
I will hit the library for the books before the movie comes out.
Thanks, Paul