PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Bubba custom resto.

Guamsst
06-25-2013, 08:10
You know how they have carshow classes where you resto a car to how it was done up custom when it was fairly new..... I think I am going to build up a Type-99 in the same manner. I have so many junk rifles and sporters I had been considering turning the best ruined receivers into hog guns. But last weekend, I picked up a sporter with a nice Bishop Target stock and another with a very nice 1960s era leather sling. A few months ago I got a 99 sporter in a lot of parts that is chambered in .300 savage. I'm seriously contemplating turning it all into one really nice example of an authentic vintage Bubba special :)

Any thoughts on this? Anyone have a .300 savage or care to comment on the caliber?

psteinmayer
06-25-2013, 07:32
I have a type 99 with all matching numbers, ground mum, 7th series Nagoya Arsenal. It's a complete rifle that my father cutdown the stock in an attempt to build a hunting sporter. He also had the bolt handle cut and re-welded to turn it down. Other than the missing barrel bands, and modified bolt and stock, the gun is original. I've been contemplating returning it to military condition for a while now... sort of as a sister to my mint Toyo Kogyo Series 31.

Let us know how it turns out... It just may be the catalyst for me to finally rebuild my sporter.

Tuna
06-25-2013, 10:17
There is nothing wrong with the .300 Savage round. An excellent cartridge that with the right powders pushes a 150 gr. bullet to the 2800 fps mark in a 24" barrel not far behind the .308.

Michaelp
06-25-2013, 10:25
Actual bubbas wil have hacksawed stocks and barrels or full length barrels with sight ears cut off. Also reworked grip areas and wierd buttplates.

Guamsst
06-26-2013, 12:25
Actual bubbas wil have hacksawed stocks and barrels or full length barrels with sight ears cut off. Also reworked grip areas and wierd buttplates.

Really? We are going to designate what constitutes an authentic Bubba rifle now? .......LOL

No, I don't want a hack job rifle. I have a stack of those. I just would like to turn all that junk into atleast one good sporter (I cringe when I type those words).

Another thing I like about the idea is that .300 Savage is a mildly exotic cartrige (Not everyone is familiar with it) but you can buy ammo at Academy.

Griff Murphey
07-14-2013, 08:09
Another point is that Korea re chambered some of them to 7.62X39. The .300 Savage is very close to that cartridge.

Tuna
07-15-2013, 06:50
In reality it would have been the Chinese that chambered them in 7.62x39 and some were done in Burma too. But the .300 Savage is way ahead of the 7.62x39 in performance by 600 fps and by bullet weight. It's an old cartridge that has been forgotten over the years. It would have been a better round to use instead of the 7.62x51. Same basic performance but out of a shorter cartridge and less pressure.

Michaelp
07-17-2013, 04:04
My point was, as has long been established in the gun world, is that there is a huge difference in what "bubba" does and what a talented smith or even home enthusiast does.
You know that.
Breathlessly waiting snide retort.

Guamsst
07-17-2013, 01:47
Breathlessly waiting snide retort.

I knew what your point was and I get it, I just find it funny that you were so specific.

madsenshooter
07-17-2013, 06:53
Some got class, some got character, some were turned into scrap steel. Bubba had different levels of achievement. I like the ones you can tell were done by a kid trying his best to imitate a Winchester or Remington bolt gun. One type 38 I have is like that. It has "Smokey" carved into one side of the buttstock. I think the stock is an old Fajen. The young fellow did a lot of whittling on it, but it fits me very good, especially the length of pull he put on it, and the pistol grip he eventually wound up with. Makes me think he might have been built like me. It wears a Redfield peep sight, and a ramp sight on top of the barrel that was cut back to 25" or so, and it was rechambered to the 6.5x257. I'm going to get around to shooting it one day, it might just surprise me. Hmm, you got me thinking, I just saw a 26" 6.5x50SR barrel (Type 38 short rifle) for sale, I'd much rather load that, already have all the dies I need to make it from .303 or 30/40.....

joem
07-18-2013, 01:10
Years ago I had a type 99 that a smith made into a deer gun. Nice stock, looked good and shot well. Wish I still had it.

Clark Howard
07-27-2013, 02:34
The single factor that identifies Bubba's rifle is a hack-sawed ring around the barrel where he cut the stock down. Regards, Clark

Dollar Bill
08-08-2013, 09:14
Years ago I had a type 99 that a smith made into a deer gun. Nice stock, looked good and shot well. Wish I still had it.

I had one also, rechambered to 300 Savage. Bought it up in Fairbanks from a guy who hunted caribou with it for over 20 years.