PDA

View Full Version : Filler In A Case How Long Can They Be Stored?

BruceHMX
06-16-2013, 04:45
I have some 30-06 rounds with a 110gr bullet loaded with with 10grs unique and a cream of wheat filler.

They have been on the shelf for 2 years.

Are these still safe to shoot?

I would hate to dump them.

Thanks

joem
06-17-2013, 04:48
No definitive answer, there are way too many variables. On the other hand, why take a chance, just pull them down.

BudT
06-17-2013, 12:53
I would be more worried about the cream of wheat filler bridging than if they are any good.

madsenshooter
06-17-2013, 06:02
That's an awful lot of filler!

BudT
06-17-2013, 06:16
yes it is

BruceHMX
06-18-2013, 06:26
Yeah I broke them down last night. Some of the cream of wheat had become hard. I had to break it up with a small screwdriver. So lesson learned. I think the next batch I make I'll leave the filler out. I did that a few months back with my 303 and had no issues. Only plinking at 100yrds or less.

jimb
06-18-2013, 07:13
That is why I use dacron fiber for filler.

madsenshooter
06-19-2013, 06:14
Most of the Hercules, oops showing my age, Alliant powders work fine without fillers of any kind. Having ringed the chamber of a 118yr old Krag rifle while using one called Puf-Lon, I try to avoid using any at all now. You did the right thing in pulling them down.

Matt Anthony
06-21-2013, 03:46
Before I started loading reduced loads, I read hundreds of pages of data on fillers and their use. Pro's and Con's were about 50%, almost equal with stories of ringed chambers, fillers that turned hard, barrels ruined and other oddities. Then on the other end, I read of nothing happening without the use of fillers!
I turned to a very old reloading manual as reduced loads 60 years ago was more of a common thing one did to save money after WWII. Phil Sharpe wrote the manual! He didn't endorse fillers, just raising the muzzle before each shot bringing the powder to the primer. I have reloaded 30/06, 308, 7MM Mauser, 25/06, 243, 22-250, 223, and 222 until I am blue in the face with reduced loads and cast bullet loads. I have never had a misfire, ringed barrel or other problem. Loading 3 grains of Red Dot using one 00 buck shot, sized to 309 and lubed with liquid alox and also using a Lyman M die to seat the shot, this load has killed more squirrels and rabbits than I can count. Hitting a tree rat with the 30 cal round ball is something to see to believe, there is no question of it's ability to kill!
So, I don't use fillers and see no need too!
Matt

joem
06-21-2013, 04:49
There are some alternatives to using filler material in rifle cartridges. You might try Trail Boss and a few others.

BudT
06-21-2013, 08:50
That's a interesting load ya have there. Will your buckshot ball load work in any 30 cal rifle? Is that buckshot seated above, flush or below the neck? TIA

dogtag
06-21-2013, 02:46
Cream of wheat/corn meal fillers are apt to raise pressures
to really bad levels.
If you're trying to keep powder next to primer, use a small
piece of toilet tissue.

madsenshooter
06-21-2013, 07:53
That's a interesting load ya have there. Will your buckshot ball load work in any 30 cal rifle? Is that buckshot seated above, flush or below the neck? TIA

Probably so, and there other sizes of buckshot that'd work in other calibers. #0 for 8mm, #2 for 6.5, #3 for 25, and #4 for .243/6mm. Powder charges might have to varied a tad for each.

Matt Anthony
06-22-2013, 04:31
BudT:
Yes, in fact if you experiment with O or double O buckshot, short range accuracy is astounding, no recoil, very quiet and extremely inexpensive. I run the Double O through a 309 sizing die with a gas check using a modified Lyman Top Punch so as to make a small flat on the top of the little mini bullet. I use, Green Dot, Red Dot and Bullseye, it all depends what's closer to reach to! On any gas check bullet, I use the crimp on checks from Hornady and then spray moly them on a piece of cardboard. You can use a tuft of Dacron filler or bathroom tissue, but after using a zillion different fillers, I found, to just raise the muzzle before you fire to put the powder at the primer!
With the correct shot or round ball, you can make from 17 to 50 cal. pip squeak loads that are fun to shoot and it won't empty your wallet!

Check this out:
http://www.woodsdrummer.com/ml07.html