PDA

View Full Version : Ever Hit on the Head with a Cleaning Rod?

Griff Murphey
06-16-2013, 09:50
This morning was Fathers' Day and I went out and shot a bit. The RO had a great "COMMAND VOICE" and I asked him if he was a vet GI RO and, yes. This ring of command brought back some memories. One of those was at Army ROTC advanced camp at Fort Sill on the M-60 Machinegun range in 1970. The range officers all had cleaning rods which they used to liberally whang upon our old M-1 steel pots. There seemed to be no reason for this random whacking, apart from the enjoyment of an E-4 whacking a future butter bar 2Lt on his helmet.

The other thing I have seen was range officers standing on men's ankles to get their feet flat in prone.

Michael Tompkins
06-16-2013, 02:17
Got kicked in the feet while qualifying with the 1911A1. I was lying prone and inserted the mag too early. I got kicked in the feet by the RO to get my attention and then he reached down and took rounds away from me. The missing rounds made the difference in me not being able to qualify expert with it. :-( Mike

m1ashooter
06-16-2013, 02:51
I heard this today from a lady I know who was a Army Medic. She was at basic and firing her M16 when a butterfly landed on her front sight. She stops firing and the RO who was a ranger comes over and yells at her about her cease fire. She points to the butterfy and say she cant see the front sight. The next she knows he hits the butterfly with his hat, picks it up and starts eating it. At this point she is stunned, he then spits the crewed up butterfly on her helmet and tells her to continue firing. Needless to say she complied. I was laughing pretty hard as she told the story.

joem
06-16-2013, 03:03
I di did a spell as assistant RO at camp Pendelton (sp) in 69. After the battalion qualified, we were promoted to road sweepers. Still remember the commands, "Sweepers Man Your Brooms, Sweepers Start Your Brooms".

John Sukey
06-17-2013, 08:44
Reminded me of the reception center. Anyone want to go to the movie? some of us raised our hands and we went to the movie.
Next, Anyone want to go to the move? Those who raised their hands heard "Start moving those brooms"

Ron James
06-17-2013, 04:50
B-4-2, Fort Lost In The Woods, Mo. Our 2th Lt. CO had one of those small Louisville Sluggers, he loved to go around and when ever he saw an infraction such as being out of step, wham on a steel pot, I hated that man.

noslack327
06-23-2013, 09:16
I was once ncoic of the pistol range at the usawc, carlisle pa. With out that pencle a lot of old officers would not have passed.