PDA

View Full Version : My $150 score !!!

marine-mp
06-15-2013, 09:45
Hello the Forum, recent member, 1st time poster. I wanted to do my homework before posting. I bought this Springfield, 1903, from a friend at work for $150, because my dad used one of these weapons during WW II. I believe the serial # [1366743] corresponds with Rick the Librarian's published #'s of NRA Sporter's. The stock is a Sporter style with white inserts on the tip, pistol grip and shoulder piece. It looks to have a Griffin & Howe scope mount [5 flush screw mounts] and 2 barrel mounts. On the barrel, under the stock,
are the #'s 1429 with what looks like a "I" above it.it has a Lyman 48 rear peep sight on it. I believe I can see what's left of a star marking on the muzzle. The barrel is marked "S A" and is dated 10-30, with the exploding bomb insignia. The bolt is in the bright and has a matching #. The barrel looks clean, but I have not shoot the weapon yet. Barrel and all hardwear have matching petina, although the blueing or parkerizing are quite worn. Questions I have about this weapon are, ... if this is a Sporter, was it blued or parkerized and perhaps a little history on it's authenticity. I have pictures, but having problems posting them.
Semper-fi & This We'll Defend Thanks, Mike

Doug Douglass
06-16-2013, 05:54
Possible old NM rifle. Star guaged barrel, polished bolt with number matching reciever are all clues. For $150 you have some good parts.

Rick the Librarian
06-16-2013, 06:12
It isn't "my" list - it is a list published by Springfield Research Service. You do have a "hit" and your rifle was originally sold as a NRA Sporter in July, 1931. Can you post some pictures?

jgaynor
06-16-2013, 10:51
{snip} I have pictures, but having problems posting them.
Semper-fi & This We'll Defend Thanks, Mike

If you would like to email the pics to me I will post them for you in the forum. Check your pm box for my email address.

Regards,

Jim

p246
06-16-2013, 11:30
We'd love to see those pics

marine-mp
06-16-2013, 01:54
If you would like to email the pics to me I will post them for you in the forum. Check your pm box for my email address.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks to all for the replies. I am glad there was a "hit", Rick. Can anyone answer if it is supposed to be parkerized or blued? I will have to do one or the other but want to keep it period correct.
Jgaynor...I Will e-mail you pictures this evening after church. Thanks.

Semper-fi & This We'll Defend

joem
06-16-2013, 02:54
Sounds like you got a really really good deal. Take it out and have fun.

Dave in NGA
06-16-2013, 06:12
Yep, you might want to attend church. It kind of reminds me of the verse; "I met a stranger and I took him in". Clearly, you scored big time.

Herschel
06-17-2013, 07:57
Being on the SRS list as an NRA Sporter is the best evidence of what it was when it was sold through the DCM as a new item. These were not surplus or rifles built from a military 1903. They were built new for sale as hunting and target rifles. Original finish would have been a deep rust blue. The white line spacers on the stock are a very good indication that the rifle was restocked with a Fajen or Bishop. The bolt serial number should be on the bottom of the bolt and would be hidden by the extractor when the bolt is removed from the rifle. The original rear sight would have a hinged aperture in the front of the threaded hole that the disc aperture screws into. The number you describe as being under the barrel is the star gauge number. The rifle your dad used in WWII was similar but in a very different configuration. The G & H quick detachable scope mount is worth more than the price you paid for the rifle.

Congratulations on the find.

marine-mp
06-17-2013, 08:36
Thanks Herschel for that intel and all the other posters that have replied. Could you perhaps explain what a
"deep rust blue" would be. Pictures were just sent to "jgaynor". I'm sure he will post them when he gets a moment. Again.....thanks to all. Looking forward to learning more about the 1903.
Semper-fi and This We'll Defend. Mikej

Herschel
06-19-2013, 09:46
Marilne-mp, I don't think "deep rust blue" has a specific meaning. To me it indicates a finish that seems t o wear better and is just a rich shade of blue. You certainly don't want to parkerize the metal unless you are just wanting something that will withstand the elements. If the rifle has been reblued before then whatever you do, within reason, should not cut the value. IL am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Additional: I found the photos posted above after posting this reply. They are helpful in figuring out what the rifle is.

marine-mp
06-21-2013, 09:22
Thanks Herschel ...I will send a few better pics to Jim when I get home as to the barrel contour and side mount. By all research I've done...it is a Griffin and Howe. I believe I will take your advice and not re-blue it. I am leaning toward just going to remove the surface rust and oil it up and enjoy shooting it. Again...thanks and Semper-fi &This We'll Defend. Mike

Fred
07-01-2013, 05:52
I sure would like to see some pictures of the rifle! Sounds Very Interesting!

07-01-2013, 08:12
Waiting for pics!

marine-mp
07-01-2013, 01:49
Sorry about the "no-show" on the pictures....fellas...working much overtime. Will try to get my my act together this 'enin.