PDA

View Full Version : I dislike asking questions like this but...

Pentz
06-13-2013, 09:17
I ran across a "carbine-ized" '98 yesterday. 20" barrel, and the stock fore end was well done, had the proper band spring. Stock was very nice but no cartouche present. Da**it, can't remember if there was a rear swivel or not. There was not a sling bar or handguard. The rear sight holes were plugged. What is eating at me are three things: the 20" bore is bright and sharp, it has a nice Redfield 102 receiver sight, and the price was $400.

The reason I don't recall more details was that we were on a speed run thru this shop, which had alot of C&R stuff, most overpriced. I suppose I'm going to take a beating if I don't buy it....

JBinIll
06-14-2013, 07:21
FWIW That's awfull high for a cut down.Personally I'd like it better at $250-300 as a shooter/hunting category rifle.

dave
06-14-2013, 12:59
At gun shows here in MI they are asking 400 min., up to 600 for cut downs. Now I am not saying they get that and I do not know if sellers are ignorent of what they have or what. I have one "cut down", its in the 19,000 range but has a 99 stock and swivels.

madsenshooter
06-14-2013, 02:29
See how quickly the addiction takes hold Pentz! Hi, my name is Bob and I'm a Kragaholic! Kidding aside, it's a bit unusual for someone to put a band spring on a cutdown. Having said that, I have a Boyds carbine stock that is cut for one. So if you're thinking of reaching for your wallet, make sure what you're looking at is the real McKrag.

psteinmayer
06-14-2013, 06:26
I'm curious about the 20" barrel. Most cut downs are 22 inches... some, like mine are 24 inches. I would think a 20 inch barrel on a Krag would be too short to hold any kind of accuracy at longer distances.

My sporter had the Redfield 102 sight and plugged rear sight holes, which was correctly identified as the sight screws filed off in the holes. A drill and easy out later, and I now have a proper 1902 sight installed.

Mark Daiute
06-15-2013, 09:42
350 would be a fair price for a decent sporter around here. Ask yourself if the 50 bucks is important. Will the seller accept an ofer of 350.00.

what will 4 bills get you in the way of a modern, new, deer rifle?

Bob S
06-15-2013, 10:25
I have one with a 20" barrel and a slightly short LOP; Redfield 70 on the back, ivory bead on the front. I love it ... shot only light cast loads in it, but it's a ten-ring carbine.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

psteinmayer
06-16-2013, 07:53
I guess the 20" isn't as uncommon as I would have imagined. I think that any length barrel that is the quality of the Krag barrels... and you could do a lot worse!