PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know of Any Dealers Selling a Legitimate Early M1A!?

Ironlip
06-13-2013, 09:02
I'm looking for a "real" and early M1A1. I've been watching the auctions and the dealers I'm aware of without success. I've also posted here and on other sites in the WTB sections without success.

There are lots of fakes and even some potentially real later versions, though I wonder whether any of the later run of M1A1's originally had the Type 3 barrel band with the bayonet lug.

Does anyone know of a dealer out there with one for sale?
Its fine if you respond by email or PM.

Thanks in advance.

Rick
tubblaw@yahoo.com

jimb
06-13-2013, 12:02
There simply is no way to determine that a particular M1A1 is REAL. Since the carbines were simply grabbed off the line and stuck in a folding stock at random to fill the order. No articular serial numbers were assigned for M1A1 production and all we know are approximate ranges. The best you can ask for is a carbine that appears to be correct. And yes, some of the very late production M1A1s would have been built with type 3 bands, and even with type 1 rear sights to go with them! Your best bet for finding one is to go to a reputable COLLECTOR, rather than a dealer.

Tuna
06-13-2013, 07:38
The last two months of M1A1 production, November and December 1944, used the type 3 band on them. To find one that has not been worked over in one form or another is all but impossible as so may were rebuilt, used and rebuilt again and often it was done overseas.
The best chance of finding an original would be one of the late ones and it may even have a rebuild stamp on it. If it went in for a rebuild but it was found to all of the last updates on it and was in good shape, then they just hit it with the rebuild stamp and off it went.

Mike
06-14-2013, 04:57
Hi, how about the CMP auction? I have one that was described as GI but with replaced wood. My CMP certificate states M1A1. Looks and works good. I have seen 100% "original" also offered. Regards, Mike

Tuna
06-14-2013, 09:10
None of the CMP M1A1 carbines are 100% as they left the factory. Many of them have stocks that were replaced by what ever country they came from like the ones from Italy or Greece. And quite a few had other maker receivers other then Inland in them like Underwood or IBM for example. They are still considered M1A1's just not original as made.