PDA

View Full Version : New No4 MKII's...consecutive serial numbers

Calfed
06-11-2013, 07:51
I just glommed a pair of No4 MKII's at an on-line auction...one still in the wrap, one out. They are supposed to be consecutive serial numbers.

"UF 55's"

http://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2013/06/ConsecutiveEnfields_zps1995d32f-1.jpg

Hope the wife doesn't find out...

drweiler
06-12-2013, 03:17
I just glommed a pair of No4 MKII's at an on-line auction...one still in the wrap, one out. They are supposed to be consecutive serial numbers.

"UF 55's"

http://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2013/06/ConsecutiveEnfields_zps1995d32f-1.jpg

Hope the wife doesn't find out...

,,,,,,,,,if you tell me on or off line what you paid please? The lowest No.4 here is UF55 A14963, a C.A.I. import stamped. Maybe you got it's cousins? Well done Calfed! Cheers, Don

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i205/drweiler/DSCN0670.jpg (http://s73.photobucket.com/user/drweiler/media/DSCN0670.jpg.html)

Calfed
06-12-2013, 06:49
Thanks, Don

Those are some beautiful No4's you've got there.

I lucked in to the ones I got. They were sold as a single lot. I do not have the full serial numbers yet, but they were identified as having serial numbers in the UF 55-15--- range, and consecutive.

Does your No4 that is still in the wrap have any tags of labels like the picture of mine? If so, what do they say?

Thanks

drweiler
06-12-2013, 10:36
Thanks, Don

Those are some beautiful No4's you've got there.

I lucked in to the ones I got. They were sold as a single lot. I do not have the full serial numbers yet, but they were identified as having serial numbers in the UF 55-15--- range, and consecutive.

Does your No4 that is still in the wrap have any tags of labels like the picture of mine? If so, what do they say?

Thanks

I'm away from my collection for the summer but the label certainly identified the model, serial number, and for some strange reason I recall the butt size. It's a 54 'PF' in what's referred to as the 'Irish contract'. I shoot the 'PF' in the middle and the 'UF' regularly in the Arizona winters, both a delight, you'll enjoy. That's an investment you have in the wrap, and it's mate to shoot!

Calfed
06-14-2013, 08:02
Do these come with the bayonet inside the wrap?

drweiler
06-15-2013, 05:30
Do these come with the bayonet inside the wrap?

Interesting, mine came with new bayonet in separate wrap, and while bayo/scabbard s.n. matched, it didn't match rifle. It was suggested to me by another forum member that the dealer/retailer mixed them up. I bought mine back in the 70's or 80's for I think around $170,,,,, some memory huh? Another expert suggested they were never issued with matching bayonet/scabbard and perhaps those crude stampings were applied by the exporter/importer to mate with rifles??? Cheers, Don

Calfed
06-15-2013, 04:53
Thanks, Don.

The auction house shipped yesterday and expected delivery is this Thursday.

I can hardly wait :)

Calfed
06-20-2013, 03:20
My pair of Enfields arrived at my FFL today and it looks like everything is as advertised. Consecutive serial numbers, one in the wrap and one out and cleaned up, but not fired. Was able to snap a few pics at my FFL's before they went into the safe.

Better pics after the 10 day "cooling off" period.

drweiler
06-21-2013, 03:41
Outstanding Calfed. I see my memory didn't fail me (this time) and the butt size is on the label, yours being 'short'. Is there an 'S' stamped on the top of the butt of the unwrapped one as well?

Calfed
06-21-2013, 08:06
Thanks, Don

I'm not sure about the butt size on the unwrapped one...I forgot to look at it. There is a 10 day waiting period in California for gun purchases and the Enfields are now in my FFL's safe for the next 10 days. I'll check it when the rifles are "out of jail".

Roadkingtrax
06-21-2013, 07:11
Very nice pair. Sorry you have to wait 10 days to get them though.

I received a Longbranch this week, and plan to take pictures over the weekend. Still may pickup the FTR blondie I passed on for it.

Your post doesn't help. :)

Buy a large quantity of .303 or another rifle? What would you do...:icon_scratch:

JB White
06-21-2013, 09:13
Seems to me you've already waited 10 days from the time you made the purchase?

Calfed
06-21-2013, 09:21
Very nice pair. Sorry you have to wait 10 days to get them though.

I received a Longbranch this week, and plan to take pictures over the weekend. Still may pickup the FTR blondie I passed on for it.

Your post doesn't help. :)

Buy a large quantity of .303 or another rifle? What would you do...:icon_scratch:

Sorry about making your choice tougher. Be glad you get to choose, unlike many people in other countries :)

Tough choice about the ammo or the gun...I guess I would come down on the side of the gun.

Seems to me you've already waited 10 days from the time you made the purchase?

Unfortunately the 10 days doesn't start until I sign the papers at my FFL.
a

Roadkingtrax
06-21-2013, 10:16
Sorry about making your choice tougher. Be glad you get to choose, unlike many people in other countries :)

Tough choice about the ammo or the gun...I guess I would come down on the side of the gun.

Unfortunately the 10 days doesn't start until I sign the papers at my FFL.
a

I kind of agree, not many near brand new battle rifles available anymore...M1's , 1903's or Enfields!!! :banana100:

Calfed
06-22-2013, 03:13
It really struck me how nice these rifles really are when I looked at the date stamp on the wrapping...June 1955.

drweiler
06-24-2013, 04:33
It really struck me how nice these rifles really are when I looked at the date stamp on the wrapping...June 1955.

Calfed, you have a PM. Cheers, Don

John Sukey
06-24-2013, 12:28
Had two, but I gave one to my neice's husband. Since he is a Marine, and is in charge of rifle ranges in Hawaii, I am sure he knows how to use it.;)

BruceHMX
06-24-2013, 02:27
In 1988 Roses Department Stores had them for $139. In the wrap with bayonet. I bought 10. Have 2 left. One in wrap one cleaned up and we shoot it. Yes they are tack drivers. Favorite load is 120gr cast 32-20 bullet at 312dia with 10gr Unique. Can shoot them all day long at a 100meter range and really enjoy it. Congrats on a nice find.

Calfed
06-24-2013, 10:57
Roses must be quite the place. More than one person has mentioned unbelievably low prices for milsurp rifles back in the day. Some of the posters posted copies of their receipts to document the low prices.

BruceHMX
06-27-2013, 06:57
When I was 12 in the early 70's my Dad and I walked into Roses. Then they sold handguns. Had a special going. S&W K-32's at closeout price of $149.95. My Dad bought one. We would shoot it a few times a year. Those are now bringing crazy money from $2000 to $3000. It's still in my safe. Early 80's they stopped selling handguns. When the MILSURP boom went off they were hit or miss. I was in the Army by then and would hit them when home on leave. Or Dad would call and tell me if something interesting was in and he would pick it up. I never went into a Roses where the counter person knew what they were doing. Kind of like Walmart today.. LOL...

Calfed
08-27-2013, 08:39
Finally picked up my goods from my FFL. I was able to go over the rifles carefully and everything seems as advertised...one cleaned up and unfired, one still in the wrap.

Thankfully, the import mark isn't to bad.

Calfed
08-27-2013, 08:40
Outstanding Calfed. I see my memory didn't fail me (this time) and the butt size is on the label, yours being 'short'. Is there an 'S' stamped on the top of the butt of the unwrapped one as well?

Don, there is an "S" stamped on the top of the butt, just forward of the buttplate.

John Sukey
08-27-2013, 09:29
S for I half inch shorter than standard.
L for one half inch longer

If it had been a No1Mk 3 there is also B for "Bantam" During WW1 the casualty rate was so high the army was forced to accept men below the height standard and Bantam buttstocks were one inch shorter.

Ken The Kanuck
08-28-2013, 06:11
Up here if I buy a rifle I just take it home and if I buy a rifle from someone across the country they simply put it in the mail and mail it to me. None of this FFL or 10 day cooling off peroid. Beautiful rifles I'm jealous, well done.

KTK

Calfed
08-28-2013, 07:21
S for I half inch shorter than standard.
L for one half inch longer

If it had been a No1Mk 3 there is also B for "Bantam" During WW1 the casualty rate was so high the army was forced to accept men below the height standard and Bantam buttstocks were one inch shorter.

Thanks, John--excellent info.

Calfed
08-28-2013, 07:22
Up here if I buy a rifle I just take it home and if I buy a rifle from someone across the country they simply put it in the mail and mail it to me. None of this FFL or 10 day cooling off peroid. Beautiful rifles I'm jealous, well done.

KTK

Yeah, California has some odd ideas about guns.

I used to have an 03 FFL, which allowed me to receive long guns older than 50 years directly to my home. I let it lapse. Might renew it.

m1ashot
09-26-2013, 08:09
For sale?

Calfed
09-27-2013, 07:16
Sorry, no

Shooter5
09-29-2013, 10:46
Are those the 'final' mfg Enfields for Ireland IIRC? Nice condition! Have you got a scoped version to use in competition? The No4Ts and L42s go for some coin now. This site has some Brit collectors who shoot them:

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-vintage-sniper-rifles/

Calfed
09-29-2013, 11:53
I think the "UF" models were among the last LE's made.

Thanks for the link

JB White
10-07-2013, 07:55
I think the "UF" models were among the last LE's made.

Not exactly. The UF's may have been the last British-made LE's, but RFI produced randon runs into the late 80's. The youngest one I owned was dated 1988.