PDA

View Full Version : WWII Hi-Power help request

Viking Guy
06-09-2013, 10:16
Gents,

A buddy just acquired a nice WWII Belgian Hi-Power, matching stamped S/N's (frame, bbl, slide), waffenampt marked and in nice shape with original finish. I'm aware that a large number of variants exist with these wartime pistols and there just may not be a good answer. The odd thing about this piece is that there is not a "thumbprint" on the slide. From all appearances i.e. fit, finish, s/n, wear marks, and waffenampts, this slide looks to be original to the piece. Neither he nor I have seen a WWII Hi-Power without the "thumbprint".

Can anybody shed some light on this? War expedient? I hope I'm not violating any rules or breaking decorum by including the link below but he posted photos on the site.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1494351_WWII_Hi_Power_Question.html&page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

TIA,
VG

Johnny P
06-09-2013, 01:49
I don't see anything missing on the linked photo, or don't understand what the "thumbprint" is.

Viking Guy
06-09-2013, 02:38
Sorry for the confusion. On the link please scroll to the top after the page loads. There are 2 photos of the pistol in question. On the right side of the piece forward of where the slide stop prorudes, the slide is smooth and flush across the entire length of the slide. In the lower photos, the Hi-Power shown is more representative of what I'm used to seeing i.e. forward of slide stop pin there is a concvave area, or a scalloped area. I got the term"thumbprint" from the guys on the other forum as I certainly did not know what to call it. Thank you for looking.

VG

Ltdave
06-09-2013, 06:51
my 1944 or 45 Inglis mfg P-35 doesnt have one...

im thinking wartime expediency for deleting it...