PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 loose pockets and pierced primers

PhillipM
06-06-2013, 04:34
I loaded 60 LC cases with more than 10 loads and 60 once fired Remington with a load of 46.5 imr 4895 with a 155 gn bullet and WLR primers. The LC cases have some pierced primers on the radius of the primer and a loose pocket. Please explain why cases with loose pockets have primers that pierce at the radius.

Litt'le Lee
06-06-2013, 05:12
did you length size the old brass ??
and what did you shoot them in

PhillipM
06-06-2013, 05:23
I've been using the RCBS X-Die, trim once and forget it. This happened on the same shoot with an M1 and a 1903. Both have minimal headspace.

High Plaines Doug r
06-06-2013, 08:03
I'm guessing what you are seeing is gas leakage around the primer pocket from an eroded primer pocket. In my guns this results in an eroded breech face, primer pocket diameter.

Tuna
06-06-2013, 08:21
Ten loadings is about all your going to be getting and it's time to recycle those cases. I think Doug is right and leakage around the primer is what your seeing.

madsenshooter
06-06-2013, 09:40
I know, we hate to see them go, but they can only take so much.

PhillipM
06-07-2013, 03:11
Ten loadings is about all your going to be getting and it's time to recycle those cases. I think Doug is right and leakage around the primer is what your seeing.

The x die does stop cases from stretching thereby needing a trim, thereby leading to the thin spot above the case head. I knew life would be ended by a loose pocket or split neck, but I'm seeing actual pinholes in the primers, Winchester LR's. Some of the Korean brass I've loaded has had a little leakage around the pocket, but this is new. Yes is was a PITA to photograph this, lol!

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5464/8975764883_42d90cafcb_c.jpg

joem
06-07-2013, 05:41
Try some CCI primers. They seem to be tougher and fit tighter in the pocket. That's why I switched to them.

emmagee1917
06-07-2013, 12:37
Check the very tip of your firing pins . The gas leakage might have eroded and roughened the tips , giving a sharp burr that's leading to the piercing .
Chris

p246
06-07-2013, 08:35
Its sounds like your an experienced reloader but just to cover the basics I assume you are getting a full seat on the primers...correct. Similar issue came up with friend who was a novice. In inspecting some of his reloads he hand about 1 in 10 with not fully seated primers. No offense if you've loaded for years but this reminded me of that so I mentioned it.

C5M1
06-08-2013, 07:25
what kind of primer tool you using Phil?

dennis

PhillipM
06-08-2013, 09:55
All primed on a 550. I have uniformed them a few loads ago. No problems with the Remington brass loaded the same way, same night. No doubt the cases need to be trashed, I'm just curious why this happened. I think 8 or so failed the same way.

Parashooter
06-08-2013, 02:54
What I see in the photo is not a pierced primer but rather annular primer leaks. Two strong possibilities for their origin are related to the GI primer crimp -

1. If the crimp was never removed, its remnants can function as annular burrs and scratch the sides of the primer cup as it is seated. Those scratches then provide a handy pathway for gas leaks. Switching to nickel-plated primers (like CCI or Federal) may help (nickel being harder than cartridge brass), as may a good primer pocket swaging tool - which should put a nice, smooth radius on the mouth of the pocket.

2. If the crimp was removed carelessly, especially with a hand-held reamer, resultant irregularities in the sides of the primer pocket can cause gas leaks. Cases are then best suited for scrap, although ball-swaging the pocket periphery, followed by regular pocket swaging, can sometimes correct the condition. Hardly worth the effort for 60 well-worn '06 cases that can easily be replaced at little cost - at least after the buying panic passes.

C5M1
06-08-2013, 07:25
I used to use brass till it failed in my early days of reloading. Had quite a bit of blow by, enough to badly pit a trw bolt face. But, never seen a primer blow like that. Odd to say the least. Always used Win primers with no problems.

Might notice loose primer pockets earlier if hand primed, just a better feel for primer fit/pocket stretch. Trash the brass after 2 less loadings than you got there, but, you probably got that already.

regards, dennis. ps, Hows the high power doing this year?

PhillipM
06-09-2013, 07:59
What I see in the photo is not a pierced primer but rather annular primer leaks. Two strong possibilities for their origin are related to the GI primer crimp -

1. If the crimp was never removed, its remnants can function as annular burrs and scratch the sides of the primer cup as it is seated. Those scratches then provide a handy pathway for gas leaks. Switching to nickel-plated primers (like CCI or Federal) may help (nickel being harder than cartridge brass), as may a good primer pocket swaging tool - which should put a nice, smooth radius on the mouth of the pocket.

2. If the crimp was removed carelessly, especially with a hand-held reamer, resultant irregularities in the sides of the primer pocket can cause gas leaks. Cases are then best suited for scrap, although ball-swaging the pocket periphery, followed by regular pocket swaging, can sometimes correct the condition. Hardly worth the effort for 60 well-worn '06 cases that can easily be replaced at little cost - at least after the buying panic passes.

It is a tiny pinhole in the primer radius, I have deprimed one to confirm this. I will dig them all out punch out the primers and try to take photos.

I can't recall if these cases were done with a hand reamer or not, and even if it were a "hand" reamer, it was probably installed in a drill. I bought a Herter's 3006 swage a while back and I used it on most of my previously reamed military brass as extra insurance to smooth seating. The last tool these primer pockets saw was a Lyman hand uniformer in a battery drill.

The whole story is I was loading for our state championship Garand and then Vintage bolt match, both 50 round matches with 5 and 5 sighters. When I brought out my cases to load, I realized my Korean was starting to have gas leaks as C5M1 described. I had a hundred or so twice fired Remington already trimmed and ready to go. The only other processed brass I had on hand was the LC69 with a lot of loads for practice.

My plan was to shoot the Remington for the Garand match, followed by the LC69 in the vintage match, but I grabbed the wrong box, LC69, for prone slow with the Garand and when I picked up my brass, realized primers were piercing. With regards to the shooter, the M1 handles gas well, the 1903 does not. I decided to shoot the rest of the garand match with the Remington, and the 03 match with as much Remington as I had. At least two of the LC69's pieced in rapid fire and I got a cloud of gas around my glasses. I won the Garand match and came in 2nd in vintage bolt, I'll never go to a serious match with well worn brass again, that's for sure.