PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a trapdoor

Doug Rammel
06-05-2013, 09:24
I loaded some 45-70 with BP and I am going to the range this afternoon. I have always used 2400 before. I know you clean with soapy water. That's what i use on my muzzle loaders. I pump the ML barrels with the breech end in a bucket of water. Should I pull the barrel on the trapdoor and put the action end in a bucket or just clean it with wet patches?:confused:

11mm
06-05-2013, 11:40
I have used wet patches...a lot of them each shooting session, before with very good results on black powder fouling in my trapdoors. A flexible cleaning rod like a noodle rod helps also. Also useful is a bushing to protect the crown. That said, I use smokeless loads exclusively now. I will bet that the Army would have used smokeless, had it been available.

ebeeby
06-05-2013, 02:20
Hot soapy water is best. Dunk a patch, swab, repeat.

I noticed Hoppes has a new BP solvent out.....

p246
06-05-2013, 06:09
I was told not to use original cleaning rod as it was hard on bore. Told to use brass rod. Anyone have thoughts on that.

older than dirt
06-05-2013, 06:11
I have used wet patches...a lot of them each shooting session, before with very good results on black powder fouling in my trapdoors. A flexible cleaning rod like a noodle rod helps also. Also useful is a bushing to protect the crown. That said, I use smokeless loads exclusively now. I will bet that the Army would have used smokeless, had it been available.

In my TD, smokeless only. In my ML`s BP only.

ebeeby
06-05-2013, 07:03
I was told not to use original cleaning rod as it was hard on bore. Told to use brass rod. Anyone have thoughts on that.

The main problem is the rod wear at the crown/muzzle. If you get a brass bore guide to use with the original rod, it should be fine.

More military rifles have been ruined by soldiers cleaning them (and the rod screwing up the crown/muzzle) than anything else with the possible exception of enemy ordnance.

13Echo
06-06-2013, 04:46
No need to dunk the muzzle in water (bad for the wood) or use boiling water to clean the bore even if using black powder. If the bore is good and smooth then use a rod with a brass bore guide and push patches wet with good old H2O through the bore till they come clean of powder residue and follow with dry patches and oil. IF the bore is rough put the patches on a nylon brush so it reaches in all the pits and use sloppy wet patches. One of the BP solvent concoctions that use hydrogen peroxide like Friendship Speed Juice will help clean the pits. Follow with a water displacing product like WD40 then a proper oil. Check again the next day. It also helps to have the rifle upside down with the block held open with rubber bands so the powder residue doesn't fall into the receiver. Clean up of black powder cartridge rifles is easy and not nearly the hassle that a muzzle loader is.

Jerry Liles

p246
06-06-2013, 06:27
The main problem is the rod wear at the crown/muzzle. If you get a brass bore guide to use with the original rod, it should be fine.

More military rifles have been ruined by soldiers cleaning them (and the rod screwing up the crown/muzzle) than anything else with the possible exception of enemy ordnance.
So its a similar issue as the mosin nagant 91's. Troops dragging cleaning rod at poor angle roughing up last inch of bore and crown. Makes sense.

sdkrag
06-06-2013, 07:10
I agree with 13echo. I do use a wooden cleaning rod made of 3/8 hardwood dowel to mimick the barracks cleaning rods of the period. Lots of flannel patches, water and oil. I have a shooting box with a cradel and clean horizonally.

Doug Rammel
06-06-2013, 09:02
Thanks for to input. Wet patches did the job. :D

Don Steele
06-09-2013, 02:45
Ballistol....

soldierofhistory1898
06-19-2013, 09:41
This is a photo of a Corporal Williams of Co. A, 1st. Minn. Inf. Regt. ,circa 1890, swabing out the barrel of his rifle after firing for record while at summer camp. He has a std. wooden barracks rod. The little bottle on the duck boards by his Rt. foot looks like a decanter of "Miller Bedfords Gun Juice". I really would like to know what they used other than just H2O. I agree with 13 echo about the rubber band to hold the breach block open wider. I also use an 1888 bore inspection devise to see what sort of a job I did. this is one of approx. 30 to 40 similar snaps that came up for bid, on ebay, about six or seven years ago.
I wish I could make the photo larger but thats all it would take.

45govt
06-20-2013, 02:04
Hello
Can't seem to open/enlarge the photo.

Can you tell about the "1888 bore inspection devise" you mentioned

Dick Hosmer
06-20-2013, 02:59
They have a small angled mirror, and look a GREAT deal (and are used EXACTLY) like those made of steel (later plastic) for the M1 and M14.

The ones for the TD were made of brass and lack the long 'nose' which inserts into the chamber.

Michaelp
06-23-2013, 03:21
Wet patches and fiberglass wonder rod. Anything softer than the barrel metal.

Lots of rifles have been "fixed" by counter boring-an oversize hole a bit down just past where the distortion ends.