PDA

View Full Version : 03 clip loading problems

LARscout
06-04-2013, 02:42
I cant figure out what it is, but perhaps others have had a similar experience they were able to rectify.
On every other clip, the follower gets stuck with only 2-3 rounds loaded. It is always angled to the left or right when it jams up.
I now believe, the scumbag who sold me the rifle put it together from parts of various manufacturers (there are a few indicators of this elsewhere). So the follower is narrower than the magazine sides. Spring is fine but the follower also has a tendency to jump up past the lips of the magazine that are keeping it in place.

Im a match shooter and this is a major problem if I am to ever master the rapids. Worst case scenario, I'll just switch out parts with another SA 1903 I have.

kcw
06-04-2013, 03:35
I cant figure out what it is, but perhaps others have had a similar experience they were able to rectify.
On every other clip, the follower gets stuck with only 2-3 rounds loaded. It is always angled to the left or right when it jams up.
I now believe, the scumbag who sold me the rifle put it together from parts of various manufacturers (there are a few indicators of this elsewhere). So the follower is narrower than the magazine sides. Spring is fine but the follower also has a tendency to jump up past the lips of the magazine that are keeping it in place.

Im a match shooter and this is a major problem if I am to ever master the rapids. Worst case scenario, I'll just switch out parts with another SA 1903 I have.

The stamped follower on my SC A3 looks to be about 3/16" - 1/4" narrower than the side walls of the mag well; if you depress it down into the well you can move it side to side about that much. With the follower fully "up", I can maybe manipulate it enough to the left so that the RF corner will rise up enough to be about level with the top of the receiver rail, but that's the extent to which it rise.. This won't cause the follower to jam. I seem to recall this issue being mention a short while ago. I believe that someone mentioned the possible use of an M1917 spring as the source of the problem.

Jim in Salt Lake
06-05-2013, 10:22
Here's a recent thread that deals with another feeding problem and has some good description of 03 vs. 03A3 followers and springs: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?39000-03-Double-Feed I would also look for any gap between the top of the magazine well and the bottom of the receiver, the follower can hang up there is the gap is big enough.

Dan Shapiro
06-05-2013, 03:32
Just a thought, but the stripper clips most available today were really made for the 7.62. They 'wiggle' when inserted into the clip guide on my 03's...and the rounds tend to jam up when you push down on the top round.

The stripper clips made for the '03 fit tight, no 'wiggle' at all. Never had a mis-feed with them.

Jim in Salt Lake
06-06-2013, 09:21
I use the stainless steel clips from Creedmoor or Champion. They work real well, I've had mine for years. Using dummy rounds and a little practice goes a long way. Also, taking a third loaded clip to the line is a good idea. If you have a problem during a reload, you can grab the spare and use that. I've never had much luck with surplus clips, the ones I've been told are for the 1903 (and I'm not sure they were) looked pretty flimsy, maybe for one time use only. I would still look at the rifle for the problem, would be interested to know what finally solves it.

PhillipM
06-06-2013, 09:29
I use USGI clips because they are the only ones that are rounded on the ends to push the ejector out of the way if it's flopped over in the recess for the lug. I tweak them with pliers on the end to make sure they are tight. Mine have only one tab folded down and I use a rubber band to secure the cartridges until it's time to load.

PhillipM
06-06-2013, 09:41
Just a thought, but the stripper clips most available today were really made for the 7.62. They 'wiggle' when inserted into the clip guide on my 03's...and the rounds tend to jam up when you push down on the top round.

The stripper clips made for the '03 fit tight, no 'wiggle' at all. Never had a mis-feed with them.

Here's the difference between M14 and 1903 clips. 1903 clips will have two tits on each side.

http://i65.servimg.com/u/f65/15/55/99/36/p1060215.jpg

Cosine26
06-06-2013, 09:17
Remember, 30-06 ammo clips were only supposed to be used one and discarded. Usually the little tips broke off on the first use. All rifle ammo was packed clipped.

Bob S
06-07-2013, 06:16
See if there's anything here that helps:

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6451&highlight=stripper&sid=a4ce191f9b2afc5a5772dd48c97ed684

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Griff Murphey
06-19-2013, 08:42
The Champions Choice stainless stripper clips are far and away the best. Much faster than GI.

Function is better than nostalgia; just my opinion. Square corners are no problems.

Roadkingtrax
06-19-2013, 08:52
I used the Swiss 6.5 clips. Smooth, and they work!!!

Parashooter
06-19-2013, 10:12
I used the Swiss 6.5 clips. Smooth, and they work!!!

6.5 Swiss? Really?

http://i39.tinypic.com/nohrh1.jpg

Handsome Devil
06-24-2013, 07:30
Recall having problems with 03a3 followers in 03's. Was a long time ago. I just quit using them. As far as stripper clips go, Griff M and Jim in SLC are spot on. I shot a match bolt gun and also still shoot 03s in vintage matches. A good stripper clip is essential for good rapid strings. You want the focus to be on your front sight, breathing and trigger control. Not wondering if you lost to much time with a bad reloading attempt. You can all use what you want for the reasons you want. For me I know what works best for me. I keep M14 strippers in my box but never use them, would if I had too. I have 3 stainless clips from Champions loaded for all rapids for the same reasons given above. Have never needed the 3rd one, but it is there in case. Have had my first round pop out of my Winchester match bolt gun during a rapid string. Never slowed down, made every shot count. After the ninth shot I reached down, dropped the fallen round in, chambered and fired. Last round was a 10 {in RP}. Had no time to spare as the target went down almost right after I shot. Timed rapid fire is exciting and fun when you do it right, not hard with a minimal amount of practice.

Back to rifle. Would try switching out followers and make sure your springs are the same from the two rifles. OP is correct if you want to master the rapids you need to get past feeding problems. Another good pc of advice from above, was make up some dummy rounds {be careful when using, don't be a dummy} and practice dry firing. Go through the whole process, make every dry fire count, practice breathing, the whole nine yards. Not just the loading of the stripper clip. With in a very short period of time the whole thing becomes very natural and you can keep your focus where it belongs. Be safe, have fun. John.

Fred
07-01-2013, 08:01
6.5 Swiss? Really?

http://i39.tinypic.com/nohrh1.jpg

Yes. I use Sweedish clips too. They work perfectly and although they have no end tabs, they hold and feed the cartridges perfectly. They're inexpensive too!

Parashooter
07-01-2013, 10:06
For the benefit of those who have difficulty with the difference between Switzerland and Sweden, here's a picture of some Swiss chargers -

http://i39.tinypic.com/2qj9ctd.jpg
I can certify these will not accommodate normal-length .30/06 cartridges.

This is a photo of an uncommon Swiss clip, produced for early 20th century trials but abandoned in favor of the traditional pasteboard charger.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2v01py1.jpg
Made for six 7.5x55 cartridges with ~.500" rim diameter, this clip does not fit the ~.470" .30/06 rim very well, nor will it enter the M1903 or M1917 clip slot.

The Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 clip, made for a cartridge with a slightly thicker, wider (~.480") rim than the .30/06 is a slightly looser fit than the 7mm (Spanish) Mauser clip whose dimensions were copied for the M1903. This doesn't stop it from working quite nicely in the US rifles.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2znmkqw.jpg
Inner lip of Swedish 6.5 clip is slightly shorter than that of 7mm clip (a), giving less spring tension (b) when used with .30/06 cartridges.

Fred
07-04-2013, 09:30
My mistake. Obviously I meant to convey that I use the stripper clips originally made for the 6.5x55 SWEEDISH Mauser. Thanks Parashooter!

SemperFi, 0321
03-23-2014, 04:42
As a person of Swiss descent, and citizenship (I got grandfathered in thru my mother, think about that for a minute), I'm appalled at the lack of knowledge from most folks.
When I tell people I'm Swiss, they reply right back "I didn't know you're Swedish", but the best one is how they use the Swiss flag on first aid kits.
The Red Cross is OPPOSITE of the Swiss flag, not the same!
Red Cross= First Aid
White Cross=Schweiz/Switzerland/Suisse

6thMARDIV
04-01-2014, 02:32
I'm using the same as Fred, I've shot several hundred rounds, both live and blank with no problems.

Roadkingtrax
04-04-2014, 09:06
It's not the end of the world.

Darreld Walton
04-04-2014, 05:51
Again, pony up a few bucks for the stainless Champ's. Work good, last a long time, won't rust, bust, nor collect dust!!!!!

BTW, I HAVE, on occasion, used a Dremel to polish a good USGI clip inside with a stainless brush at medium speed. It does make a distinct improvement, or has for me, at least, but still not on a par with the commercial offerings.