PDA

View Full Version : P14 question

p246
06-02-2013, 06:25
I'm looking at a mark 1 (* on receiver). The stock has the front volley sight. If memory seves this would not be a correct stock (or add on by civilian owner), as the mark 1 did not have volley sights. Can someone confirm this?

If so a decent shape mixmaster in military trim with good bore...I'm thinking 400.00. Am I low or high in today's market.

kcw
06-02-2013, 08:49
I'm looking at a mark 1 (* on receiver). The stock has the front volley sight. If memory seves this would not be a correct stock (or add on by civilian owner), as the mark 1 did not have volley sights. Can someone confirm this?

If so a decent shape mixmaster in military trim with good bore...I'm thinking 400.00. Am I low or high in today's market.

My understanding of the * mark on the receiver was to indicate that some modification was done to the receiver and/or bolt, this was independent of the volley sights and was done during or immediately after the war I believe. It was between the wars that the modification (Weedon repair?) was done to British army rifles to remove the rear volley sight from the receiver and the also the one on the left side of the forestock. I have a Winchester P-14 with the * mark which is still in what I believe is its original Winchester, RAF marked stock. (the stock is RAF stamped as well as the brass unit ID disc). The volley sights remain on this rifle. Recently I attended a large gun show and handled another * stamped Winchester, also RAF marked, original wood, having intact volley sights. This was the only other RAF marked P-14 I've ever seen. It would appear that RAF rifles may not have undergone the Weedon repair. In the case of the P-14 at the gun show, the asking price was $1,100; based, I was told, on its being original and unmodified as to the volley sights. I have recently seen very nice Weedon repaired P-14's priced around $600 at shows, but then again, those are show prices.

kcw
06-02-2013, 09:58
As per the article on M1917 & P-14 found @ Scribd.com; "asterisk indicates a 1916 modification to the P-14's, slightly lengthening the left locking lug".

M2Phil
06-02-2013, 11:30
The removal of the pointer and cutting off the flip-up aperture on the bolt stop rest was about all that was done regarding volley sights. The plate was left on (although sometimes ground flush with the stock, and maybe some had plate and screw removed a wooden plug installed). The Mk1* mod was as kcw said. "Weedon Repair Standard" was basically a cleaning/inspection program to ensure the rifles were serviceable and current with the standard configuration of the time. Volley sight parts for these and SMLE's used to be dirt cheap, and easily installed. Wouldn't command a 100% premium over a garden variety in my opinion, unless it was really pristine A++ condition and provable as to originality. Bolt bodies and rear sights on No.3 Mk1*'s are numbered to the rifle, and if it's in decent shape, good bore, and has it's correct parts (or great majority of them. Hey, honest things happen in a century), $500-$600 seems reasonable.
Just an opinion, though.

John Sukey
06-02-2013, 01:21
I suppose its fortunate for the Brits that those P14's they didn't use in the first war were still around for the second go-round with the germans

p246
06-02-2013, 02:04
This has pointer still installed. I know hand guard has been replaced but it appears to have been some time ago. I guess the volley sights being on the gun just don't trip my trigger. Going to have to give it some thought.

p246
06-03-2013, 06:54
Went with a close cousin and bought. 1917 Eddystone. Had Broad Arrow on it so was lend leased at sometime.

JB White
06-03-2013, 12:31
Went with a close cousin and bought. 1917 Eddystone. Had Broad Arrow on it so was lend leased at sometime.

Now that is cool. Does it still have the paint on the stock to denote the different chambering?

p246
06-03-2013, 12:40
Unfortunately not. It is import marked so I assume the importer cleaned it all up to make it look pretty. Barrel 9 of 18 so that should be original. Stock is very dark and oil soaked probably was in military storage a long time. Will wrap it in papertowels then trash bag and put it in green house. Few sessions with a D.A wipedown then a light wipedown with B.LO. and hopefully she lighten ups. Gives me time to look for the right P14 to go with it.