PDA

View Full Version : Two early Navy 1911's from my collection

gbethu
06-01-2013, 05:37
http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/gbethu/media/IMG_0484_zps624bddc2.jpg.html

p246
06-01-2013, 05:48
Very nice but I only found one picture...tease:-)

gbethu
06-01-2013, 06:03
I will post more later. My camera needs to be replaced with one with more resolution. I have 501, 502 and 503 with the last two Navy's 109,999 and 110,000. Will provide high resolution photos ASAP.

4F4Nam
06-01-2013, 07:35
Sweet! Looking forward to more pics!

Ed

westgard
06-02-2013, 02:47
That's pretty amazing. It's always very difficult to find sequential guns, but to have a 3 gun run of early navy guns it exceedingly rare!

ignats
06-02-2013, 09:03
Wow, how did you manage to find three in a row like that? What's the odds of that happening after all these years. Tell us how you came upon them. That's really cool.

gbethu
06-02-2013, 06:36
It wasn't just luck. First, I decided to build a really good Colt 1911 Navy collection. Then, I enlisted a long time collector/friend/expert with knowledge of seasoned and well known collectors who owned specific inventory to help me locate and negotiate an attractive price to the owners. We didn't argue about the last $500. Multiple people owned these guns and here to for would not part with them. Some had been with them 20-30+ years. I was willing to pay an attractive price to obtain what I believe to be exceptional. one of a kind pistols. Luck, a lot of due careful research, perseverance and consideration for how difficult it is to part with a life long friend helps a lot . Some wouldn't sell to others but would to me.....501 was a different collector than 502 & 503. 109,999 was in poor condition but the owner was too. 110,000 was another person whose life had changed. Ser.No. 133 was a difficult gun to buy. It hurt the person to part with it. We gave him all the time he needed and eventually he called back. I will show some photos later but it is a magnificent example. Ser. No 88 was a "home run" from a person who had owned the gun for almost 2 decades. The 2 USS Texas and 2 USS New York guns came from a life time collection whose life had changed and the offering price was attractive . People say timing is everything....it's true but a well reasoned offer and a lot of research plus adequate resources help facilitate any transaction. I do my homework as I'm sure you do as well. I'm very much interested in obtaining a Delaware or Maine issued gun. Pearl Harbor is another facet needed for my collection. My most difficult objective is to purchase a single digit serial numbered Colt 1911. Should you be able to help I would be happy to reward you for any assistance.
I am a Navy Vet of Viet Nam ( 20 years E-1, CPO, CWO and LT.) and if you google my name "Gordon Bethune". you will see I have a long career (at my advanced age) that taught me focus and consideration for others is the key to success. Hope to hear from you one day.