PDA

View Full Version : The Purge?

Guamsst
05-31-2013, 03:12
Anyone else have thoughts on this new movie? I haven't seen it. The premise is that the government declares all crime legal and ceases emergency services for 12hrs. Apparently to purge the population? Or purge the violence built up in people?

My thought is that this must seem reasonable to liberals. It fits with their belief in more more MORE LAWS MORE!!!!

The entire premise is based on the idea that only the government and its laws keep society from acting like animals filled with bloodlust. The movie seemed interesting until I thought about it. Now, it just seems odd and lacking in any rational thought.

PKelly
06-11-2013, 01:54
Having absolutely nothing better to do on a night off alone, with the wife out of town, I saw this one. It actually turned out to be better than I assumed, although my expectations were pretty low. The story takes place twenty or thirty years from now, when the country is run by the "New Founding Fathers". This is never elaborated upon. Employment stands at less than one percent and crime is almost nonexistent. Violent tendencies are kept in check by the "purge", in which one night a year laws do not exist. Feel free to murder, rape and rob to your hearts content for twelve hours without repercussion. Politicians with a "Level 10" clearance, whatever that is, are off limits of course.

Ethan Hawke portrays a highly successful executive with a home security business. Of course, his home security system turns out to be not as effective as advertised, as you can imagine. The couples two children are largely stereotypical plot devices that serve as the catalyst for the nights events. If they were mine I'd probably purge them before the sun came up.

Reasonable to liberals? Well, I don't believe in turning everything into a political diatribe and I don't know how a night of no law fits into a belief in the necessity for more law. In the end, everyone involved decides the concept leaves much to be desired. All in all I found it to be a better movie than I anticipated. It won't find a place in my collection but I didn't feel as if I'd wasted an hour and thirty five minutes of my life.

Guamsst
06-15-2013, 04:09
Note I said liberals, not Democrats although there is rarely any difference. I was not sayin it relates to them because they want more laws, but because they seem to believe laws are all that keep anyone in check. Interview after interview with anti gun liberals has shown a belief that the average person is just waiting for an oppurtunity to go on a rampage...which seems to be the basis of this movie.

PKelly
06-15-2013, 10:48
The premis is that violence is an inherent part of the human genome, average or otherwise, and it simply can't be avoided. The one night purge is used as a way for people to "get it out of their system" once a year, and thereby have a more violence free society. There are critics of this process within the movie. Their contention is the purge targets the homeless and disenfranchised, and the government uses it as a way to remove undesirables from society. Democrat, liberal, whatever. I have no patience with turning anything and everything into some kind of political statement. The movie itself is more interesting than I thought it would be, that's all.

Guamsst
06-17-2013, 07:59
The premis is that violence is an inherent part of the human genome, average or otherwise, and it simply can't be avoided.

This is a common concept among the anti gun crowd. The belief is that every one of us is just waiting for the excuse or oppurtunity to go on a rampage. While I didn't see the movie, your statement confirms to me that I was close enough on my assessment of the movie. I will watch it I am sure if it is on cable for free later.

Democrat, liberal, whatever. I have no patience with turning anything and everything into some kind of political statement.
If this movie is anything other than a bottom of the barrel horror/suspense flick, it seems to be a political statement itself. It isn't a movie about a boy and his dog, it is a movie about society and government framed around a family in danger or atleast that is how it seems based on your comments and the previews.