PDA

View Full Version : Possible 1903 opportunity

Viking Guy
05-27-2013, 09:33
Gents,

A coworker is selling a bunch of stuff for a friend who is leaving New York state. One of the items is a 1903 Springfield. I have not seen the rifle yet but it is described as follows: May 1918 bbl date. S/N in the 900000's. Excellent bore. Stock has BHM cartouche. I don't know if it is a one bolt, has grasping grooves or not. It has a supple 1918 dated sling and correct bayonet. It is described as a 1960's DCM piece, and not arsenal refinished. Again, I've not seen the piece.

My concern, from what I know at this point, is the stock. From everything I've read, including contradicting information, the BHM stock may or may not be correct for this year. I just am unable to find a definitive answer. My inclination is to think it may be a replacement. On the plus side, it is a "high" number Springfield. The asking price, again sight unseen, is around $1200.00 which I am believing is way too high especially if the stock is not correct. This is all without knowing what the rest of the metal has going for it i.e. bolt, bands, buttplate, etc.

I would appreciate any and all thoughts or opinions.

Thanks,
VG

Rick the Librarian
05-27-2013, 09:58
BHM stocks are usually seen with one stock bolt. Of course, it could have had a second one added as part of an overhaul. If it does have just one bolt, that may be a plus. One bolt stocks with a correct inspection stamp are much in demand.

If EVERYTHING except the correct is correct/original, it may be worth the money. If the rifle is the typical overhauled piece with mixed parts, it is overpriced.

Viking Guy
05-27-2013, 10:09
Thanks for the reply, Rick. Am I to understand that a BHM stock would be correct for this year (1918)? I do understand the nuances regarding the stock re 1 vs 2 bolts etc. I was just totally flumoxed on the BHM stamp. I'm looking forward to seeing it. One last thing: Given it was a DCM piece, does that not imply a rebuild at some point?

Thanks,
VG

Rick the Librarian
05-27-2013, 10:24
1. Virtually all BHM stamps I have seen have been on one-bolt stocks although a couple were on two bolt stocks. I believe BHM (I don't remember who the initials stood for) only worked for Springfield well before WWI.

2. When the M1903 was first produced, there were no stock reinforcing bolts. About 1908 one was added near the bolt handle; in 1917, a seond one was added just below the receiver.

3. I have not seen a correct WWI-era M1903 with a BHM inspection stamp.

Here's a "no bolt" stock:

http://www.fototime.com/544EE5AC353E4DD/standard.jpg

--a "one bolt" stock (two of them, actually):

http://www.fototime.com/021A0B7101B31D2/standard.jpg

--and, a two-bolt stock:

http://www.fototime.com/CDD6807C2C7AF8C/standard.jpg

Viking Guy
05-27-2013, 10:50
Thanks again! I do appreciate your efforts in helping me out. It will be interesting to see this thing and figure out just what it is. Actually getting eyes on will be the key and I'll post what I can about it. BTW, BHM from everything I have been able to find out is an unknown inspector but is acknowledged as a legitiment inspector though no name can be associated with the initials. As you stated, he appears to have worked at Springfield well before WWI, and from what I've found, up until about 1909 (this seems to be a bit subjective). This info is what piqued my curiosity as to whether this would be a correct stock for this particular 1918 dated rifle. Given what I've read and the fact you have never seen one either leads me to believe it has been changed out at some point. Great looking rifles!

VG

Rick the Librarian
05-27-2013, 11:03
The stock could have been changed by a former civilian owner or it could have been a stock taken from a scrapped low numbered receiver rifle a reused. Look for the stock bolts. Let us know what you find out.

Viking Guy
05-28-2013, 02:06
Well, so goes the way of the wonderful world of gun collecting. Apparently over the long weekend the guy decided to hang on to the rifle. I'm not even going to get a chance to see it.

Rick the Librarian
05-28-2013, 05:36
Bummer ...

I still remember a guy years ago who was going to sell me a rifle. I started telling him about it and he was so fascinated he decided to keep it! :D