PDA

View Full Version : Good luck!

jon_norstog
05-26-2013, 07:20
Good luck to all the Krag shooters, Madsen and P. and the others, in this summers coming matches, especially Camp perry. Show them some s**t!

jn

madsenshooter
05-26-2013, 04:24
Well, lets hope. I'll have my tight fitting leather jacket back this year, maybe that'll help. I used to use it way back in the 90s and recently discovered it in storage.

In the meantime, I got out with some loads using Accurate Molds 230E cast bullet today. Didn't go to a range, but found a place to do a 50yd test while I was digging a few ramp bulbs and scoping out wild mints. They don't do bad with 37.5gr of slow burning powder, DP85 an Accurate Arms surplus I got long long ago. Supposed to burn about the same speed as Ramshot's Hunter. I didn't see anything in my bore that I'd consider leading. They were sized .311 and lubed with a C-Red and old RCBS rifle mix. Shot rather hastily off the top of my car, since the county road where my ramp patch is was being used as a New Straitsville bypass, what with the Moonshine Festival going on. Used the 1902 sight all the way down, 6 o'clock hold on the yellow paper. Seated to an oal of 2.8" the nose engages the rifling, but not enough to pull out without a crimp.

I'm guessing velocity ought to be around 2000fps, based on one grain less of the same powder giving me 2175fps with a 190gr Eagan out of the parkerized Krag. Actually, down a grain might do better.

I have my upper band fitted so that the back band on it doesn't touch the barrel at all, and there's just .001-.002 pressure between the topmost band and the wood at 10 and 4 o'clock.

I won't be using the big bullet at Camp Perry though, I don't trust that big meplat when it comes to feeding in rapid fire. I'll probably go with some Nosler 168s at around 2400fps.

Mark Daiute
05-26-2013, 05:30
I'm so sick of prepping brass I could scream. I'd like to prep enough that I can have enough to be practicing until it's time to leave for CP. Will be interesting, see you there.

psteinmayer
05-26-2013, 06:19
I'm going to prep and load my Match loads for CP next weekend. I'll be shooting 220's again with 40gr of 4350, but I think I'm going to switch to CCI Magnum primers. I've heard that 4350 burns a smidge better and more completely when using the Magnum primers... so that's what I'll load.

Incidentally, I will be shooting in the morning session instead of afternoon this year! Hope to see you (Mark) and be able to squad again with you (Bob) this year!

Paul

psteinmayer
05-26-2013, 06:20
Good luck to all the Krag shooters, Madsen and P. and the others, in this summers coming matches, especially Camp perry. Show them some s**t!

jn

Thanks very much Jon! You should come and shoot with us... It's a lot of fun!