PDA

View Full Version : BP grade I'm not familiar with ...

dogtag
05-24-2013, 08:16
I use 2F for my rifles, and 3F for my pistols - I no longer use 1F
and as I don't shoot a flintlock I don't need 4F.
My question: What is Skirmish Powder ?
Sounds like it's for reenactments - Is that what it is ?

JBinIll
05-25-2013, 12:47
From what I've read it's made in China.This was posted on a BP forum,FWIW-

I called about Skirmish Powder as I was hoping that it would be an inexpensive, but accurate powder for skirmishing. According to the gentleman that I spoke with, it is in fact a mixture of Fg, FFg, and FFFg. He told me that Skirmish Powder would be appropriate for shooting blanks in reenacting, but due to its uncertain mixed nature, was not recommended for any type of accuracy shooting such as skirmishing. I can't verify the accuracy of his statement and I have never fired Skirmish Powder. In my case I stuck with the more expensive, but proven Goex.

joem
05-25-2013, 05:54
"From what I've read it's made in China."

Well we've all heard about a bunch of China's products, ie. poison dog food and lead paint on kids toys and other horror stories. And your thinking about using china's explosives!:eek:

dogtag
05-25-2013, 12:03
Well, joem obviously didn't understand my question. I've no intention of using it, I just
wanted to know what it was.
Thanks jb - If its quality is that suspect, I wonder why Powder Inc even sells it.

JBinIll
05-25-2013, 12:07
Re-enactors burn a lot of powder a year,it significantly reduces the cost of their hobby.A merchant serves his market.All they're shooting is blanks,noise and smoke are the only requirements.I doubt the boys shooting at the NSSA shoots are using it to shoot for the record.