PDA

View Full Version : 6" added to barrel of Winchester 75

sfdgunny
05-21-2013, 10:38
I have an old Winchester 75 that I bought used. After careful examination (months after purchase) it appears that about 6" has been welded back on the muzzle end of a cut off barrel. There is almost no evidence of this on the exterior and all Winchester markings remain on the back half of the barrel, but there is an obvious ring on the inside of the barrel where the two sections meet. It is still fairly accurate.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing this?

I've heard of re-lining a barrel, but tacking 6" on??

The rifling matches up perfectly in the barrel. The exterior was refinished nearly perfectly.

Plan is to cut it down to behind the weld and thread for a suppressor?!?

We'll see...

Jeff

JimF
05-22-2013, 06:47
I tend to doubt the barrel was "added to"!

I'm betting it was fired with an obstruction (probably a squib load) in that spot of the barrel.

How long is the barrel . . . . measured through the bore, against the CLOSED bolt? --Jim

Johnny P
05-23-2013, 06:08
Agree with Jim. It was very common to find pump .22's with a bulge in the barrel where the bullet did not make it out the bore and another was loaded and fired behind it. Same thing could happen with a bolt action. An automatic .22 wouldn't function with a squib load, so the rifle was checked to see what happened.

Lengthening cut off Colt Single Action Army barrels that have been cut off in the past is fairly common, but it was not done with firing them in mind. Normally they were scarce models that were being restored.

In the case of the Model 75 there would not be much difference in the price.

sfdgunny
05-26-2013, 06:36
Thanks guys. I'll post pictures later of the barrel. I knew it had been messed with as it had no front sight base or dovetail. An interesting rifle, no doubt. No bulge, just a very distinct line on the inside of the barrel. One "pit" on the outside where I would assume there was a welding imperfection, but re-blued over nicely. Busy weekend, but will post pics later and we can all learn something, maybe???

sfdgunny
06-03-2013, 08:47
Well, you guys nailed it. Cut it down to a half inch or so behind the "line" and it is definitely a bulge in the barrel. When viewed from the muzzle 6" away, it looks like a line. After chopping it off, it is definitely bulged. So, took 6" off and still have a 20" barrel. Re-crowned, re-blued, and... Someday it may be threaded for a suppressor.

Thanks again

Jeff

dave
06-13-2013, 05:56
Tests have shown that 22" is an ideal length for a 22 LR barrel. It may be as accurate as ever now. Suppressors are hardly worth the trouble you have to go thru to own one, with the Feds!

Barryeye
06-14-2013, 03:41
Tests have shown that 22" is an ideal length for a 22 LR barrel. It may be as accurate as ever now. Suppressors are hardly worth the trouble you have to go thru to own one, with the Feds!
You could well be right but while I have no personal experience I think I remember reading that maximum velocity in a .22 comes from a 14 inch barrel. After that extra barrel length just slows down the projectile. The powder is all burnt out by the time the projectile gets to 14 inches. Like I said I am just going on memory. Of course the longer sight radius would give better accuracy at longer ranges with open sights.