PDA

View Full Version : Question on stock of 03 project rifle

Lenny
05-20-2013, 05:48
Gentlemen
Once again I find myself unable to find the answer to my dilemma on my own. The stock that came with my project drill rifle appears to have a two piece forend or muzzle end. Please excuse my ignorance of the proper nomenclature I am trying my best to learn all I can, sometimes I do not have the correct terms. The front barrel band has a proper fitting "plug" in the interior which has a wooden dowel that engages in a hole in the end of the stock. When put together it is hardly even noticeable. Is this correct or is this a repair? If a repair is this an "acceptable repair" for reasonable accuracy? Beginning to think perhaps a drill rifle build was not such a good idea for a novice but don't give up easily. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you Lenny

mhb
05-20-2013, 06:54
no plugs or inserted pieces of wood in the stock. It may be an attempted repair, but, without knowing exactly where the plug is located, or what it is intended to do, I can't say whether it constitutes a problem in using the stock.

Photos or a better description of the size and location of the plug would help.

The only hole which should be in the foreend tip of a 1903 stock is the one the upper band screw passes through, and it is possible that this hole had been made oversize, or in the wrong place, and that a plug was inserted to fill it, before a new hole was drilled in the correct size and place.

mhb - Mike

rebound
05-20-2013, 10:19
Do you think he is talking about a duffel bag cut???

Lenny
05-21-2013, 02:36
I guess my explanation is lacking it is as if upper barrel band was put fully on the stock including fastening bolt then the wood stock was cut off flush with the metal of the band. Then reassembled with a wooden dowel between. Haven't figured out how to post photos on here yet. Might have to give it a try. I searched duffel bag cut seems something like that.

rebound
05-21-2013, 11:15
Lenny, I think what you are discribing is called a duffel bag cut..
Was done to rifles by returning GI's who smuggled rifles back with them to the U.S.
They cut the stocks to fit in a duffel bag..
Or it's a repair job to a sporterized one..