PDA

View Full Version : Cracked stock?

GregU
05-19-2013, 10:58
Picked up an 03 with a new "C" stock. Took it out to shoot it this morning. On the first shot, a 3/8"x3/4" wedge broke out on the stock wrist behind the rear receiver tang. Is this an indication that there wasn't enough relief behind the tang? Seems I just read something (a warning!) about this. Thanks. Greg

mhb
05-19-2013, 11:16
that is almost certainly what caused the breakage. It is necessary to have positive clearance between the receiver tang and the rear of the tang cut in the stock.
Since you will have to dismount the rifle to repair it, you can also make sure when re-assembling it, that the recoil lug on the receiver is actually bearing in the stock, and that there is sufficient clearance at the tang to prevent a reoccurrence.
mhb - Mike

GregU
05-19-2013, 05:53
The piece didn't break out freely. I haven't disassembled it yet so I hope to be able to get it to come loose cleanly. My real hobby is woodworking but I really hate trying to repair wood like this. Wasn't happy at all that it broke but nothing I can do now about it but hope it's not (too) noticeable.

Kurt
05-20-2013, 12:36
If you can, force some Tite Bond II in the crack with compressed air and clamp it back down without removing the chip. then work the relief cut.

Kurt

musketshooter
05-20-2013, 07:09
I would be willing to bet the person who stocked the rifle did not install the rear stock screw bushing. If it is cracked at the rear, it will also be broken at the recoil lug area.

GregU
05-20-2013, 03:35
It's a DGR stock, don't know who installed/fit it. Probably won't get to it till this weekend?. I'll have to look everything over. When I get it disassembled, I'll see how tight the wedge is. Really don't want to remove it if it isn't completely free, but since it hasn't come off I don't want to dislodge it any more than I have to.

chuckindenver
05-20-2013, 04:42
check the recoil lug to make sure its not wasted.
if it has the brass bushing, replace it with a G.I. steel one. repair and cut some gap behind the tang