PDA

View Full Version : Restoring A Carcano Type I Rifle

BruceHMX
05-18-2013, 10:26
Guy showed up last week at the house with one of these. It was in nice condition. But missing the rear sight, front barrel band and one screw in stock for buttplate.

I found the rear sight on GB. Is the front barrel band the same type on a carcano 41 long rifle?

How about that butt plate screw same as well?

Thanks

madsenshooter
05-19-2013, 01:19
The barrel band appears to be the same as the one on a Japanese type 38. http://members.shaw.ca/nambuworld/typeipix.htm

Fred
05-19-2013, 09:48
Isn't that kinda like restoring a Ford Pinto? Why would he want to?

madsenshooter
05-19-2013, 10:24
Take a look at Pinto prices on ebay Fred. LOL! Just teasing, though they are up there. It's something to do, and if one uses the right size bullets, the rifles aren't bad shooters. Actually the type I which I have has a slightly tighter bore than most of the Type 38s I have. .268" IIRC, whereas the Type 38s I have are up to .271. The Type I's have a tighter chamber dimension too, which goes along with the undersized ammo that one can buy now a days. If they'd just put .268 bullets in those undersized cases. BruceHMX, the barrel seat, a little U shaped steel insert in the barrel channel is the same as the Type 38s too.

Guamsst
05-19-2013, 07:03
Isn't that kinda like restoring a Ford Pinto? Why would he want to?

It's the best carcano ever made, so why not?

Barrel band should be from a Type 38, same for screw. The stock is not interchangeable but the small parts are for logistical reasons.

BruceHMX
05-21-2013, 05:38
Thanks guys. Rear sight is on the way. Now to find the other parts.

Fred
05-21-2013, 05:30
Well a good accurate rifle is always a fine thing to have!