PDA

View Full Version : Norinco Mauser magazine

Barryeye
05-17-2013, 01:29
Gentlemen. About three years ago I purchased a Norinco JW25a. A .22 copy of a Bruno made to look like a Mauser K98 rifle. Although a novelty I have found it accurate and reliable. Problem is it came with a five round magazine as standard and although the five rounder looks authentic as it is hidden by the stock its low capacity makes plinking a chore. JW25s are not common here and I have yet to see a five or ten round magazine offered for sale. However JW15s magazines are available by mail in both ten and five round versions. Opinions differ as to if the JW25 and JW15 magazines are the same. Can anyone confirm or deny this? One company here in New Zealand is offering nine (yes 9) round JW15 magazines for the bargain price of NZ$65. I’ve e-mailed them and asked if they will fit the JW25. They said no but I get the distinct feeling that they were just being cautious and did not know. Any guidance would be appreciated.

dave
05-17-2013, 06:28
I would guess (yes guess) they are both the same, if the action and rest is the same. As far as I know they are the same, why would they have changed it? I had several of the sporting versions JW15? (at the time I had an FFL). The mags were interchangable with the Brno #1 sporter I still have. Ofcourse there could be a problem be cause the mag is 9 round? But if they work in one, should work in both.

joem
05-17-2013, 06:33
Why not just buy additional mags?

Barryeye
05-17-2013, 01:52
Thanks Dave. I think I’ll take the gamble and order one by mail. I’ve seen the picture and the large and small mag look identical in every way but length. Here the Bruno .22s are legendary (especially the older ones) but expensive. Fit and finish is superior to the Norinco Brunos but how do they compare in accuracy?
Not sure what you mean Joem. I do intend to get another mag. The 5 rounder is fine for opossum hunting but for plinking I prefer to reload less often.

dave
05-17-2013, 02:15
I hate to confess this but other then one mag full, when I first got it 30-40yr ago, I have not shot it since and do not remember! Was always going to put a scope on it but grooves are wider then US standard. .22's are one of my collecting interests and I must have 50 of them at least. My Norinco was dead on seems I never missed with it! 4 pwr. scope helped, shot allot of critters with it. However my son had one and and it shot patterns like a shotgun! The Brno's are not cheap here either. Some Czech "trainers" (same action) were imported here some years back, not too expensive but cheaper stocks. Seem to have dried up now, not many imported. Mine has a checkered walnut stock and is strickly a commercial item.
Do you ever see any Mossberg 22 over there? Son and I both collect them.

Barryeye
05-17-2013, 04:33
I hate to confess this but other then one mag full, when I first got it 30-40yr ago, I have not shot it since and do not remember! Was always going to put a scope on it but grooves are wider then US standard. .22's are one of my collecting interests and I must have 50 of them at least. My Norinco was dead on seems I never missed with it! 4 pwr. scope helped, shot allot of critters with it. However my son had one and and it shot patterns like a shotgun! The Brno's are not cheap here either. Some Czech "trainers" (same action) were imported here some years back, not too expensive but cheaper stocks. Seem to have dried up now, not many imported. Mine has a checkered walnut stock and is strickly a commercial item.
Do you ever see any Mossberg 22 over there? Son and I both collect them.

From what I have read on Norinco it can be hit or miss (no pun intended) as to accuracy. Very good or very poor with nothing in-between. I confess that I got this one on a whim but have no real regrets. However I have only just noticed that the rear trigger guard screw is missing. Hardly the best quality control. I also like .22s and have 8. I didn’t set out to collect them but I just kind of acquired them and don’t like parting with them. I get the feeling that Mossbergs are becoming more common on the local gun shop shelves. Made to a price they have a reputation as being good value sturdy firearms. Fact that you don’t see many second-hand ones around must count in their favour.
A few years back one of my customers gave me a .22 Mossberg. It was an unexpected gift. It is a Model 353 semi auto. It was missing the unusual fold down plastic forend grip and the rear sight. I managed to get a “wooden” replacement fold down grip from the U.S. but I am still looking for a rear sight. Nice looking rifle with a good solid magazine and unusual side mounted sling swivels. I confess that I have yet to shoot it.

dave
05-18-2013, 06:28
That model started out with the 152 model, wood foregrip. One of Moss most popular sellers, came out about 1950. Sort of resembles a US M1 Carbine. I knew Moss's had been imported to England at one time but did not know if they ever reached NZ.

Barryeye
05-18-2013, 09:53
Thanks for the information Dave. I'll make an effort to give it some range time.