PDA

View Full Version : 03 and 03 Mark I difference???

pdc
05-16-2013, 12:29
Since the Mark I used the Pedersen Device I understand that there were some slight differences in the sear and trigger mechanism and maybe otheres. What are the exact differences? I'm having trouble with my safety engaging when the cocking piece is in the cocked position. It's as if the cocking piece isn't coming back far enough. I bought replacement parts that were supposed to be in very good condition. I'm not concerned with correct Mark I parts as I'm building a sporter but I do want parts that work. Is it possible that I have a Mark I part that's not compatible with a standard 03 part? Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

jgaynor
05-16-2013, 01:51
its unlikely you have a mark 1 part. The problem you describe is very common and is generally relate to the interface between the sear and its mating surface on the firing pin extension. If the firing pin and cocking piece look they are in good condition the next thing to replace would be the sear. Sometimes people take a stone to the surfaces with the idea they will be improving the trigger pull. If they remove too much metal it allows the firing pin to move too far forward causing the safety to jam when you try to engage it.

I deally when you manipulate the safety you should, with normal finger pressure, be able to cam the firing pin slightly to the rear and engage the mating notches on firing pin and safety tab.

Inserted below is a picture of a Mk 1 sear and trigger (and cutoff) installed on a rifle for your information. The pic is from vishooter's website.

Regards,

Jim

pdc
05-16-2013, 03:34
Yep, that's different alright. Mine doesn't look like that. Thanks for the info. I hope the sear hasn't been boogered with but maybe it has as the cocking piece looks like it's got original finish on it. Might start looking for a replacement.

Bill H
05-17-2013, 08:10
If you can engage the safety while pulling back slightly on the cocking piece, then the problem is likely as described above. This is a common problem, usually remedied by replacement of the sear.

pdc
05-19-2013, 06:16
Well I guess I'll start looking for a new sear. If that doesn't work I'll try a new firing pin/cocking piece. Thanks guys.