PDA

View Full Version : A closer look at my RIA '03 today

Rick the Librarian
05-15-2013, 04:20
I had the afternoon free, so I sat down with my LN M1903 described earlier, Nick Ferris' fine book on the RIA and a magnifying glass. Found a few more details:

1) after VERY cautiously doing a little disassembly, found the plugged hole in the forestock, showing that the stock was a former 30-03.

2) Don't know how I overlooked this earlier, but the front sight protector is a USMC - the curve of the protector clears the top of the front sight blade by a considerable amount. I'd be curious to know how one ended up on this rifle. I've decided not to remove it.

http://www.fototime.com/2EC8B5EA7963096/standard.jpg

3) There is a "slot" in the back of the front sight base, identifying the barrel as a former 30-03. Of course, the 6-05 date could practically guarantee that!

4) Pete and RCS - the difference between the sight slide on your rifles and mine indicates you had the earlier (1905) model of this particular part - mine is the later (starting 1906) slight slide.

5) Considering the serial number, the receiver MAY have started out as a Rod Bayonet. RIA made 18,000 sets of rifle parts with RB features. Of course, only a relative handful ever were assembled and none were issued - again, according to Ferris' book.

Mike D
05-15-2013, 06:48
Rick - You had the upper band off and you didn't keep going? I want to see that early FRSB! With the plugged forestock, we know it has the early base. I see those screw heads aren't perfect and I know you have some good hollow-ground bits....:evil6:

Mike

Oh yeah, the USMC sight protector.....it's been shot....:eek:....so it's goin' to the range, right?

Just kiddin'....:icon_salut:

Rick the Librarian
05-15-2013, 07:24
....it's been shot....:eek:....so it's goin' to the range, right?

Just kiddin'....:icon_salut:

Funny ...I don't see any pigs flying!! :D

Dan Shapiro
05-15-2013, 08:19
Hatcher hole?