PDA

View Full Version : War Baby III

usmc69
05-12-2013, 08:34
Has anybody looked at this book yet?

TSimonetti
05-13-2013, 04:15
WBIII is a very comprehensive volume on just about everything dealing with the M1 Carbine. The "just about everything" is both really good and somewhat bad from my perspective, since there is a lot of stuff in there that I am just not interested in. For instance, a significant percentage of information deals with foreign-made variants, post-war commercial carbines, commemorative carbines, and toy carbines.

The book reads sort of like a scrap book of the various manufacturers, with lots of neat and historically significant photographs. Anyone interested in the history of the carbine should put this on their "must have" list. But since it is also meant as an accompanying volume to WB1 and WB2, if you don't have those two first books, you are still missing out on a lot of information. It does however, provide a lot of photographic evidence for collectors that serves to bolster knowledge.

This is a natural, but not exactly seamless progression for Ruth's first two books that is definitey worth the price. I find it a very interesting read, and highly appreciate the sub sections dealing with accroutments, knives/bayonets, magazines, ammunition and just about anything dealing with the WW2 manufactured M1 Carbine.

I give it a 9 out of 10

usmc69
05-13-2013, 04:30
WBIII is a very comprehensive volume on just about everything dealing with the M1 Carbine. The "just about everything" is both really good and somewhat bad from my perspective, since there is a lot of stuff in there that I am just not interested in. For instance, a significant percentage of information deals with foreign-made variants, post-war commercial carbines, commemorative carbines, and toy carbines.

The book reads sort of like a scrap book of the various manufacturers, with lots of neat and historically significant photographs. Anyone interested in the history of the carbine should put this on their "must have" list. But since it is also meant as an accompanying volume to WB1 and WB2, if you don't have those two first books, you are still missing out on a lot of information. It does however, provide a lot of photographic evidence for collectors that serves to bolster knowledge.

This is a natural, but not exacly seemless progression for Ruth's first two books that is definitey worth the price. I find it a very interesting read, and highly appreciate the sub sections dealing with accroutments, knives/bayonets, magazines, ammunition and just about anything dealing with the WW2 manufactured M1 Carbine.

I give it a 9 out of 10

Just seems kind of pricey to me.

Where are you at in Western Pa.?

TSimonetti
05-13-2013, 05:12
Just seems kind of pricey to me.

Where are you at in Western Pa.?

It is definitely pricey. I've seen them for $125 at a local gun show, still high but significantly less than some are asking. It's a HUGE book so in my opinion, you are getting a lot for your money. I suspect many will balk at the initial price and I can't really fault them for that...

But in my experience with collecting Garands and Carbines, ignorance has been a lot more expensive. That's why it was relatively easy for me to pay a lot of money for all the back issues of the Carbine Club Newsletter, and to buy this book as well as some others.

I live in Canonsburg, Pa

Cheers
Tony

usmc69
05-13-2013, 05:26
It is definitely pricey. I've seen them for $125 at a local gun show, still high but significantly less than some are asking. It's a HUGE book so in my opinion, you are getting a lot for your money. I suspect many will balk at the initial price and I can't really fault them for that...

But in my experience with collecting Garands and Carbines, ignorance has been a lot more expensive. That's why it was relatively easy for me to pay a lot of money for all the back issues of the Carbine Club Newsletter, and to buy this book as well as some others.

I live in Canonsburg, Pa

Cheers
Tony

May get one.

I drive by on I-79 on my way to Meadville.

AJ

twh
05-13-2013, 12:40
Just to follow up it is really a companion to the first 2 volumes so it, by itself, will not give you a lot of the information in those volumes.

wmmwraghd
05-14-2013, 06:35
3 is an excellent book. It is a must have in my humble opinion.

Johnny in Texas
05-14-2013, 09:59
It is only a must have if you are in the later stages of M1 Carbine-itis! IMHO LOL

wmmwraghd
05-15-2013, 06:16
I am in the last stages of that illness. But hope to linger for a few more years. LOL

m1cc
05-17-2013, 07:57
I wish I had a copy of War Baby III. I bet it is a good read!

wmmwraghd
05-18-2013, 07:05
I will Zerox all 1000 pages and send them to ya. Larry won't mind. LOL