PDA

View Full Version : You never know what you'll find................

PKelly
05-10-2013, 11:31
.............when rumaging around in the garage.

I've been needing a new sling for my 1903. I've been using the Turner I have on my M1, but I really wanted one with brass hardware. The only problem is hardly anyone makes a quality sling with brass fittings. To my knowledge, Les Tam is the only one and I've been unable to contact him. In the end I gave in and ordered another sling from Turner. Well.........................

A few days after I placed the order I was poking around in the garage and knocked a box off the shelf. What was inside? The pieces of an original 1907 sling dated 1918, with brass hardware. I vaguely remember taking it off another rifle years ago and thinking I'd find a use for it sometime, that was at least a decade ago. So I salvaged the hardware and sent the pieces off to Turner for mounting on my new sling. Before any of you hardcore collectors get upset, the sling was in remnant condition so I didn't destroy a usable antique sling. the fittings have a very nice patina and I instructed Turner not to polish them. It should look quite nice when finished.

Fred
05-11-2013, 12:07
I've read of another person who had done the same thing. Do you know how much Turner will be charging your for the service and sling? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

PKelly
05-11-2013, 12:26
The standard price for the 1907 sling is $62.95. I was told the would be an additional charge for using my hardware. Camille stated she couldn't give an exaxt quote as it would be based on condition of the hardware, the need for polishing etc., but that it would be no more than $10.00 at the most.

Fred
05-11-2013, 08:44
Thanks! I appreciate the information!

therewolf
05-22-2013, 03:53
I've grown tired of scratching the crap out of my milsurp wood stocks.

I've packed away all the original metal hardware slings, and started making slings with

plastic hardware for all my shooters. It's much easier on the furniture, and cheaper to find

from old luggage, duffel bags, and the like.

PKelly
05-23-2013, 12:28
I've grown tired of scratching the crap out of my milsurp wood stocks.

I've packed away all the original metal hardware slings, and started making slings with

plastic hardware for all my shooters. It's much easier on the furniture, and cheaper to find

from old luggage, duffel bags, and the like.

I don't know your handling procedures but you might want to examine them. In all the years I've been shooting milsurps and using 1907 slings I have yet to damage the wood with one.