PDA

View Full Version : '96 Mix Mash Rear Sight on eBay

Fishnerd
05-10-2013, 02:13
It is listed as a '98 rifle, but upon inspection, the sight ladder appears to be a carbine- with the carbine notched slide. The base is not marked "C" and it is all in pretty rough shape.
Thoughts???

eBay item # 350788993557

Dick Hosmer
05-10-2013, 03:07
Well, first of course, it is an 1896, not a 1898, at all. Everything appears to be "R" except the slide (and that almost looks hand filed). Remember that on a carbine leaf/ladder the even numbers are on the right side, not the left as on that one. It's getting WAY too much money in my opinion.

madsenshooter
05-10-2013, 03:34
OMG! I gave someone who was looking for a 96C sight a heads up on this one! Better let him know it isn't correct. Thanks Dick.

madsenshooter
05-10-2013, 04:24
Uh Dick, the Carbine slide pictured in Poyer has the even numbers on the left, base is marked C on the right side, in the proper place, but is hard to see in the auction pic.

Dick Hosmer
05-10-2013, 08:29
Uhh, you are absolutely correct. And, that post was edited within about 2 seconds of being posted (which was done from my computer at work). I wonder what happened!!!!

Just looked at the Ebay photos again, and I was dead wrong!!

Fishnerd
05-10-2013, 10:00
There is a zoom feature on the pics. Use it and tell me if I'm wrong in stating the ladder and slide are from a '96 carbine. There is far too much pitting for that ladder to have been filed. It was rode hard, put away wet and then re-blued by Bubba. I make these comments especially because the seller is not selling it as a '96 carbine sight.
The base appears to be from a rifle.
I had a sniper bid in for $110, but when it hit $125, I bowed out and decided to share w/CSP. Too rough to match my '95-'96 Carbine

madsenshooter
05-10-2013, 10:27
Yea, I hate it when we get into these discussions. I was trying to tip someone off that needed one, now every danged collector type with some extra change in his pocket will be running the bid up, whether he needs the danged thing or not. In fact, I'm quite disgusted and won't even read any links to auctions posted here anymore. It had a C on the base at one time fishnerd, on the right rear, but it's obscured from once being rusted. It is, in my opinion a real one. I liked it better when one could take ebay pics home and play with them.

Fishnerd
05-10-2013, 11:46
Yea, I hate it when we get into these discussions. I was trying to tip someone off that needed one, now every danged collector type with some extra change in his pocket will be running the bid up, whether he needs the danged thing or not. In fact, I'm quite disgusted and won't even read any links to auctions posted here anymore. It had a C on the base at one time fishnerd, on the right rear, but it's obscured from once being rusted. It is, in my opinion a real one. I liked it better when one could take ebay pics home and play with them.
Madsenshooter,
I was thinking this was a '96 carbine sight (for the most part) that was flying under the radar. It is in rough shape, however I'm still looking for one. I'm not willing to pay anything over $125 for it, due to the condition. Due to this, I decided to share it with you guys.
Now that I let the cat out of the bag, lets see how high it goes- I'm guessing north of $300 (even in its horrible condition).

Dick Hosmer
05-11-2013, 08:15
I am VERY sorry for any "damage" caused by my erroneous comment, being aware that my word on such matters is perhaps given more weight than it might sometimes deserve, especially when I respond too quickly.

Still have NO clue as to what happened to my correction. Even if I access the forum from two separate computers that should make zero difference.

madsenshooter
05-11-2013, 09:17
Fishnerd, it's hard to see the C on the base, appears to be partially filled with crud, but I THINK it's there. (pixels sometimes make me see what I what to see). I guess we've really done no harm, since I don't need one and I'm not bidding. Just lets me know I'm not the only one looking. We should all keep our eyes out for the rare 1901 sight for the BOF rifle that Dick needs. I check the ones I see out for him, and sometimes mistake carbine sights for the rare one, to my chagrin. And, if we think we've found one, PM him. I've found it very easy to push the wrong button when making a correction Dick, you have to hit save, not edit post! LOL!

madsenshooter
05-14-2013, 08:50
Hmm, some guy with 381 ebay wins bowed out at $125, then proceeded to run the bid up a couple hundred more over the next couple days once he got the skinny. Last time I comment on any open auctions, someone buys a cutoff rifle as a carbine, that's their hard luck. And, I don't know if the fellow I was trying to tip off even got my msg, so can't say whether or not he was the winner. If he was, in a way he was the loser because of the sights condition.

Dick Hosmer
05-14-2013, 08:55
There's a mole in our garden!

That Gunderson piece has never resurfaced.