PDA

View Full Version : Argentine 45 acp ammunition corrosive?

gfguns
05-09-2013, 06:48
I have some argentine ammo and was wondering if it is corrosive or not. I did some searches on the internet and the only info I found was the manufacturers name and also that it has Berdan primers. According to the headstamp it was manufactured in 1978 which seems kind of late for the corrosive primers. Please see photo attached
Thanks
Greg

http://i43.tinypic.com/zvpj85.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/1f9zwx.jpg

4F4Nam
05-09-2013, 11:01
Unless someone knows for sure, I would treat it as corrosive. I tend to treat all older foreign or unknown ammo as corrosive. Better safe...............

Ed

joem
05-10-2013, 04:41
If you have a bunch of it, pull it down for components and reload it in new cases.

gfguns
05-10-2013, 03:20
Very good advice Ed. I think I am going to contact the manufacture.

Unless someone knows for sure, I would treat it as corrosive. I tend to treat all older foreign or unknown ammo as corrosive. Better safe...............

Ed

gfguns
05-10-2013, 03:23
Thanks Joem, I could salvage the bullets and powder but the cases Are not reloadable. I never would have guessed it would be so hard to get the info I need. I was on the Internet for quite a while again today.

If you have a bunch of it, pull it down for components and reload it in new cases.

joem
05-11-2013, 05:02
Thanks Joem, I could salvage the bullets and powder but the cases Are not reloadable. I never would have guessed it would be so hard to get the info I need. I was on the Internet for quite a while again today.

Look around for once fired cases as they are a bit cheaper than new. The only corrosive ammo I shoot is in Rissian bolt guns and CZ52 which are easy to clean.

lyman
05-11-2013, 08:41
I have some Argentine 45acp around her somewhere that is not corrosive,
standard ball, berdan primed,

shoots well thru a thompson and 1911's,

gfguns
05-12-2013, 07:58
Hi Lyman. Thanks for the reply and if you find it I would appreciate knowing what headstamp it has. BTW how did you determine it was not corrosive?

ignats
05-13-2013, 08:42
One way to find out is the hard way. The bore will be red/orange with rust pretty quick. Corrosive ammo is no big deal to clean. Just run a patch or two with water down the bore and on the breach face. That will neutralize the corrosive salts. Some guys like Windex which is okay too. Dry it and then clean like you normally do. It's best to run those wet patches right after you quit shooting.

gfguns
08-19-2013, 06:37
Well I decided to pull the bullet out of one and detonate the primer on a piece of steel so it is only a matter of time and I will have my answer.