PDA

View Full Version : What a Treat

sdkrag
05-07-2013, 08:55
I received a call from a friend today asking me to look at an old 03 that he had a chance to buy. It was described by the widow he was dispersing a collection for, "as that old military rifle". I will appoligize for no pictures right away. What he had was an Rock Island Arsonal 1903 serial #214674. Finger groove stock with rectangular inspector stamp with 1912 on left wrist and circle P behind the trigger guard. The barrel is RIA 4-12. Fine checkered butt plate. It also has a flaming bomb and NRA stamped on the magazine tang ahead of the floorplate. Without an extensive exam I would say it was all original and correct. Overall condition was very good with the expected patina. It also has a 1918 dated sling.It was a real treat to look it over for him. I know I have seen the NRA stamp discussed. Could some one update me. I don't think Brophy discussed that in his book.

Rick the Librarian
05-07-2013, 09:50
M1903 rifles were sold to NRA members in the few years before U.S. participation in WWI. As part of the "contract, it was forbidden to resell these rifles. It was found that several of these rifles were found "in circulation". As a result, the "NRA" stamp was applied to identify these rifles. Not all NRA Sales rifles had these, however.

Sales of M1903s to NRA members ceased shortly before the U.S. entered World War I. They are probably the largest group of original pre-WWI M1903s.

sdkrag
05-08-2013, 11:13
Thanks Rick. That explains a lot. I have looked at almost as many 03's as Krags and this one felt right as rain. Just out of curiosity, what kind of value would you guess?

Rick the Librarian
05-08-2013, 02:37
Probably in the $1500-2500 and up range, depending on bore, amount of finish and if it is truly original. Certainly one I've always had an eye out for, too.

sdkrag
05-08-2013, 02:47
The rifle is coming out of the estate of a local doctor. The widow mentioned that she thought his father or grandfather had purchased it from the NRA. After years of looking at primarily Krags that are peiced together I have also worked with quite a few 1903's. After 30 years you get a feeling on some weapons. This is one of those. I am sure you or John Beard could examine the parts more closely and confirm or condem. All I can say it was pretty cool. Prior to this the best I have done is spot a star guage barrell on a cut down at a gun show. Reading sure helped that day. I knew what I was looking at because of long evenings with Brophy's book. It's a great shooter too.

Fred
05-08-2013, 04:11
Somewhere there is an NRA rifle for sale that was made in 1912 or 1913 that is all early and original, sharp and correct, but somebody had long ago given it a Duffle Bag Cut under the rear barrel band. Sigh... The seller wants about $1,200.00 for it. I think that I'll look for it again.

Rick the Librarian
05-08-2013, 04:31
Chances are the rifle is original - what's the finish like? (amt. remaining)

John Beard
05-08-2013, 11:18
The rifle is coming out of the estate of a local doctor. The widow mentioned that she thought his father or grandfather had purchased it from the NRA. After years of looking at primarily Krags that are peiced together I have also worked with quite a few 1903's. After 30 years you get a feeling on some weapons. This is one of those. I am sure you or John Beard could examine the parts more closely and confirm or condem. All I can say it was pretty cool. Prior to this the best I have done is spot a star guage barrell on a cut down at a gun show. Reading sure helped that day. I knew what I was looking at because of long evenings with Brophy's book. It's a great shooter too.

If you can post pictures, I'd be happy to evaluate the rifle for you. Your description is intriguing.

Thanks for the information!

J.B.

sdkrag
05-09-2013, 08:41
John. I will be visiting with the gentleman this weekend and I will ask permission to take some pictures and post them. Posting pictures. A new adventure begins.

Rick the Librarian
05-09-2013, 12:56
If you have difficulty posting them, you can email them to me and I'll be glad to do so. My email is rrsbls[at]msn.com (make usual substitution).

sdkrag
05-09-2013, 03:22
It would probably would be easier to e-mail them to you than to ask my wife to help me. She is very tolerant-to a point. :)

Rick the Librarian
05-09-2013, 03:40
Feel free - I'll be glad to help.

RtL

Mike D
05-09-2013, 08:12
Can do - mikedubois1@gmail.com