PDA

View Full Version : Price on a 2005 Springfield Armory 1911-A1

fem
05-06-2013, 10:18
My Brother's Widow wants me to buy the 1911-A1 he bought in 2005...It's the "Military Model" Parkerized, no bells or whstles. I know he didn't shoot it a lot... He just wanted it for Home Defense. I shot it a few years ago and it is still "cherry" What would a more than fair price be? I'm thinking $ 400 Am I too low? It's so sad. I was at his bedside when we both know he was taking his final cruise (he was a CPO, Cob of the SSN Permit actually. Torpedo-Man by trade. He told me to unload it as I was going back to Texas from Florida...He didn't want her to have to worry about it...Also unloaded his 2nd Generation SA Colt 45 Revolver. It was so sad. He was a fine man, very kind hearted (yet frugal with his $) She wanted me to buy his SA Colt as well....I told her no way, and that if she didn't want to give it to her Son or Son-in-Law (Both good gun guys and fine men) To hang on to it for a Loooong time and then I would sell it for her. She's taking my advice. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

ignats
05-07-2013, 02:06
I would check on the price of a new one or similar one retail. If you like the pistol, and it's in reasonably good shape price accordingly. "I can buy a new one or one pretty much like it for $XXX this one is in decent shape, but it is used. I would pay $YYY." Or you can see what they're going for on auction. That's about the fairest way I know to handle something like that.

KeithNyst
05-07-2013, 04:50
For a current price, here is one on GB that will close in about an hour. It is at $516, with 11 bids so far.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339460694

Bill H
05-08-2013, 08:11
I bought one a few years ago at a gun auction for about 350.00. It was in original box, no indication of having been used. Considering that the seller paid a fee of 15-25% to the auction, I think your $400 is reasionable.

Mike Josephic
05-27-2013, 12:03
I've been in this situation a few times with families of good friends of mine who passed needing help to sell
their collections. The widow was, as expected, in a state of total confusion as to what they were worth and
how to go about selling them legally.

My first choice was to place the guns on consignment with a local dealer (whom I have know for 30+ years).
I've done this three times now. First, it leaves me out of the "selling process", second it does the transfer
legally and lastly, the widow or family gets a check when it's over and that's the end. If there was a certain
piece I wanted due to sentimental or whatever reasons, I would offer comparables to define the market value
and pay a fair price.

In addition, as a service for my friend, I would clean the guns and present them to the dealer the best possible
condition to help get the highest price.

This has worked for me.

Mike

Scott Gahimer
05-27-2013, 08:18
Another simple solution (if you want the pistol and wish to pay fair market value for it) is to clean the pistol and take good representative photos of it. Write an accurate description and list it on a good online auction that gets good exposure. You can bid, just like everyone else....or you can put a high reserve on it that will not be met, and then pay the price of the highest bid. Dealers typically charge a fee to list and handle the sale of a firearm. That would be up to you as to whether or not to charge your brother's widow for such a service. If it were me, I think I'd wan to help my brother's widow do the best she could selling anything because I think that's what my brothers would want.

I think if your brother wanted you to have the pistol at no charge, he probably would have given it to you or instructed her to do so. That doesn't indicate anything about how much your brother cared for you. I love my brothers, but should something happen to me, I'd want anyone helping my widow to dispose of my guns to get the best price possible. All my guns have been purchased with our money...not mine. I'd want her to come out as good as possible. JMO.

BTW, I am very sorry to hear of your family's loss.