PDA

View Full Version : 1917 sighting problem

Embalmer
05-06-2013, 01:46
Finally got my eddystone with mintyoriginal barrel to the range today. With front sight drifted all way to left, is still hitting right of aim by about 6-7". It's grouped tight, just can't zero without Kentucky windage. There any way to fix this to line up right?

Kurt
05-06-2013, 02:42
I think you would want to drift the front sight to the right, not the left if your hitting to the right of aim.

Kurt

ebeeby
05-06-2013, 02:46
I think you would want to drift the front sight to the right, not the left if your hitting to the right of aim.

Kurt
+1 - move the sight the other way.

Embalmer
05-06-2013, 03:11
Hmmm ok I'll try that. Still have doubt that distance will be able to zero completely, let alone without sight being completely one way or other. Will try again tomorrow and report findings.

Thanks!

Kurt
05-06-2013, 03:30
If your shooting 100 yards, you'd get about 3"-4" of movement for every blade width you move the front sight.

Good luck

Kurt

Embalmer
05-11-2013, 03:21
Well drifted the sight as far right as I could without it falling off the barrel. Hits pretty much dead on, just really annoying the sight has to be that far over to hit.center mass.

joem
05-11-2013, 04:50
The only other option would be to have a smith index the barrel slightly. That may be really tough to do without damage to the receiver.

John Sukey
05-11-2013, 09:14
Another thought. The stock may have warped a bit over the years and is bearing on one side of the barrel. Take a slip of paper, wrap it around the barrel, You should be able to slide it from one end of the barrel to the other while it is in the stock

Kurt
05-11-2013, 09:37
I would check a couple things. First, is the rear sight ladder etc Eddy Stone? i.e., was it changed at some point. Another thing to look at is the front sight, again, changed? Is the front sight a post or a blade?
The reasoning for the questions is I believe the 17's were targeted when original, but not so when rebuilt and put into storage and I don't think your's would have been acceptable if original.
I'm not sure how hard it would be to tweak the rear sight ladder one way or another, but something to check and make sure it hasn't.
On some of my 17's, I have filled the peep hole with JB weld and drilled a smaller hole than the original. You can favor the hole to one side which would bring your front sight back some, not sure how much off hand. You could find a cheap :icon_lol: Parker Hale sight for it!

M1Garandy
05-11-2013, 06:09
The only other option would be to have a smith index the barrel slightly. That may be really tough to do without damage to the receiver.

What about making a front sight key with an offset (provided everything else checks out)?

Embalmer
05-12-2013, 04:54
was rearsenaled due to the 3-km(?) stamp on stock, but only parts swapped that I found were the bolt body is a usmc, rest of parts on bolt eddystone, trigger guard and floor plate winchester. everything else is eddystone on the gun. front sight is blade. ill try the paper trick today. would be ashame if thats the issue, as is a really nice eddystone stock with minimal dings.

chuckindenver
05-12-2013, 08:02
sounds like the barrel is out of index...can be fixed...