PDA

View Full Version : .22 LR in .22 Magnum revolver?

Chaz
05-06-2013, 12:22
Dear Abby,

Is there a reason why one shouldn't/couldn't shoot .22LR ammo in a Ruger Single Six fitted with the .22 magnum cylinder? I do understand that one should not do the reverse, shooting magnum rounds through a regular .22 short/LR cylinder.

While we're on the subject, my Winchester Model 69A will shoot both short and LR, so why couldn't one shoot .22 Shorts in a Springfield Armory M1 or M2?

Curious Chaz

dave
05-06-2013, 01:33
I think a mag cylinder is larger, not only in length but dia. If so, the case of a LR would be enlarged and could spilt and crack. Not safe! If the cylinders were inter-chanable the manufacters would not furnish two with these guns.
There were two reasons why 22 short should not be used. In the 20's (and before) to the early 30's, 22 rimfire used a corrisive primer. Alot of use of shorts would corrode and also erode the chamber at the front of the cartridge, making it difficult to chamber and extract long or LR cases. Corrision was not a problem if cleaned correctly. Corrisive ammo has not been made since the 30's (Rem, Clean Bore) so it is no longer a problem and it takes allot of short use to erode the chamber..
The second reason is still true (if you want the best accuracy). The two cartridges , short and LR use different rifleing twists, one turn in 16 is ideal for LR while shorts like a slower twist. Not sure but around 1-19. There is no reason you can't use shorts in any riffe marked for LR except extended use can still lead to erosion. How much use? probably thosands, if not more!

PhillipM
05-06-2013, 01:59
Thanks for that Dave I'd always wondered about shorts in a long or LR chamber.

.22 mag bullets are larger in diameter than 22 LR's so even with pistols that have interchangeable cylinders, the barrel is too large for the LR, L, or short, and accuracy suffers with these bullets.

C5M1
05-07-2013, 07:56
Firing 22 in a 22 mag revolver will split the case; Been there, done it out of curiosity. You can shoot 22 shorts in almost any 22, the exception being some double action revolvers. Just not enough case support with the extractor recessed into the cylinder, this will also split or bulge the case. Shorts Will work in semi auto's but must be hand operated.

hth; regards, dennis

Chaz
05-07-2013, 09:52
C5M1, thank you for the excellent discussion because I've wondered about this for years! Chaz

Nick Riviezzo
05-07-2013, 03:24
In a pinch you can shoot .22 S,L,& LR in a .22 mag. cylinder. First,accuracy might not be "minute of beer can" it depends on the boring of the barrel. Second,it is a pain, but if you take empty .22 Mag. casings and cut the primer end off, de-burr and you can insert the .22 S,L,&LRs in the tube that is left. Put these "shimmed" .22 rounds in the .22 Mag chamber and fire them. They will not rupture and will function fine. Most times you can remove the .22 s from the mag"shims" and re-use them several times if you don't squeeze them out of round.
About 1967 or '68 I bought a Ruger Super Single Six Convertible that would not shoot anything but .22 Mags accurately. Shortly after I sold it, I read that Ruger had changed the bore spec, in the barrels and solved the problem. I don't know because I had bought a Colt SA .22/.22 Mag. that suited me for accuracy with both cylinders.These many years later I have a small collection of Colt New Frontiers with steel frames and adjustable sights and all shoot both cylinders with equal accuracy but, I have used the procedure above with a few guns just experimenting. A word of caution here is important though, NEVER try to shoot .22 Mags in a COLT barrel that is bored for .22 S, L, & LR s [I don't know about Rugers] Colt barrels that have ROUNDED muzzle crowning are bored for BOTH .22 Mag. and .22 S,L,& LR. If the muzzle crowning on a Colt is flat, it is bored for ONLY .22 S,L, & LR never use .22 Mags in these guns[Note:Any G- series Colts after SN. G200,000 were made with a crossbolt safety in the loading gate. All of these guns were made for .22 S,L, & LR, No guns in this range were produced for .22 Mag. and consequently have flat muzzles to the crown]
Although long and "windy" I hope this info is helpful to all and is written clearly enough so as not to confuse. Regards, Nick

Johnny P
05-10-2013, 04:32
Typically .22 Shorts don't feed well through a magazine like the Springfield .22's.

dogtag
06-22-2013, 06:57
Shooting shorts from a Long Rifle chamber will eventually
cause erosion at the front of the chamber.

PhillipM
06-22-2013, 07:27
In a pinch you can shoot .22 S,L,& LR in a .22 mag. cylinder. First,accuracy might not be "minute of beer can" it depends on the boring of the barrel. Second,it is a pain, but if you take empty .22 Mag. casings and cut the primer end off, de-burr and you can insert the .22 S,L,&LRs in the tube that is left. Put these "shimmed" .22 rounds in the .22 Mag chamber and fire them. They will not rupture and will function fine. Most times you can remove the .22 s from the mag"shims" and re-use them several times if you don't squeeze them out of round.
About 1967 or '68 I bought a Ruger Super Single Six Convertible that would not shoot anything but .22 Mags accurately. Shortly after I sold it, I read that Ruger had changed the bore spec, in the barrels and solved the problem. I don't know because I had bought a Colt SA .22/.22 Mag. that suited me for accuracy with both cylinders.These many years later I have a small collection of Colt New Frontiers with steel frames and adjustable sights and all shoot both cylinders with equal accuracy but, I have used the procedure above with a few guns just experimenting. A word of caution here is important though, NEVER try to shoot .22 Mags in a COLT barrel that is bored for .22 S, L, & LR s [I don't know about Rugers] Colt barrels that have ROUNDED muzzle crowning are bored for BOTH .22 Mag. and .22 S,L,& LR. If the muzzle crowning on a Colt is flat, it is bored for ONLY .22 S,L, & LR never use .22 Mags in these guns[Note:Any G- series Colts after SN. G200,000 were made with a crossbolt safety in the loading gate. All of these guns were made for .22 S,L, & LR, No guns in this range were produced for .22 Mag. and consequently have flat muzzles to the crown]
Although long and "windy" I hope this info is helpful to all and is written clearly enough so as not to confuse. Regards, Nick

Maj. Nick, you have solved a mystery to me for many years about my Colt New Frontier, serial 216,507. It has no safety but the hammer has grinding marks. I always wondered why till you posted it's supposed to have a cross bolt safety. The hole is there, but it is gone! I guess the hammer was ground for some reason when the safety was removed.