PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 1911A1 third range report

Guamsst
05-06-2013, 08:32
Ok, I have made more than three trips to the range, probably 5 now. But, Saturday I focused on just test firing two pistols then settling down with my el cheapo grande Rock Island 1911A1.

I fired two mags as fast as I could get the sights back onto the torso. 1- 8rd and 1- 7rd mag. All 15 shots were in the 7-8 rings at 21yds......I feel safe carrying it.

Next I shot strictly for accuracy. I leaned over the bench and used it for a rest. First mag, 8rds I had a problem with climbing zero and the target was bouncing and swaying back and forth. The 8rds made one tall hole about 2" high and barely over 3/4" wide. Second mag was 7rds, I hated the rest so I shot off hand and the target was still bouncing around due to the airconditioning at the range. This time, surprisingly, I actually had a better group about 1" high and just over 1/2" wide. Granted, My trigger pull was so slow I actually scared myself on one shot and I could feel the strain in my shoulders from holding aim for so long.....but damn, for $450 this thing has went from so so on the first mag to HOLY CRAP on the most recent one. I figure it might have 200rds through it now.

Dave Waits
05-15-2013, 09:12
Guam, in addition to my Rock, I own an April,1950 built Colt Gov't( Birthdate gun-gift from my Father shortly before he passed away) and a Series 70,Colt Gold Cup. I haven't shot either in over a year. My Rock is accurate and reliable to the enth degree. It's both my Housegun and my EDC.
RIAs are an outragious value for the money!

Guamsst
05-19-2013, 05:56
RIAs are an outragious value for the money!

See my most recent post in 1911 forum. In short, the more I tinker with this one, the more I agree with your statement.

rider
05-20-2013, 08:40
I just use my RIA for a Wolf ammo blaster,and my Series 70 for more serious shooting. It hits POA with Wolf but about 6" higher with aluminum cased Blazer, so the comp bushing might be an interesting experiment.

Guamsst
05-22-2013, 01:16
So far, mine has been consistent with whatever ammo I can scrounge but I have not been shooting at 25yds either.

Eventually I will get to shoot at a target that isn't bobbing and weaving and we will see what happens. I like our indoor range but the Air Conditioning is just too strong and paper targets don't sit still. I may have to bring a sheet of cardboard as a backer next time.

rider
05-22-2013, 01:40
I would just clip a couple of ice fishing sinkers to the bottom of my target to keep it from blowing around but that might not be an option where you are.

Guamsst
05-22-2013, 07:04
I would just clip a couple of ice fishing sinkers to the bottom of my target to keep it from blowing around but that might not be an option where you are.

I considered that too. Just putting some lead weights on some clotespins or something. The targets don't move allot but an inch back and forth can add allot, percentage wise, to your group.

Guamsst
05-28-2013, 07:18
Fired it at a range in Ft Worth this weekend. Target was rock steady and I put 7rds into one jagged hole. I bobbed a little on shot 8 as the trigger broke and I pretty much could see the miss before it hit the paper. Missed the main hole by about 1/16th inch :( Had it been a 7rd mag I would have cut the target up and framed it....I blame the mag...LOL

The trigger is just stupid crisp now. All I did was drop a wilson combat trigger into it and polished the surfaces of the trigger, sear spring etc.