PDA

View Full Version : No. 4 Mk1 Safety

tom hargrove
05-03-2013, 06:08
I shot my new to me 303 today. Pleasant to shoot and I am glad to add it to my 1903 and 1903a3. One problem arose though. The safety seems to try to take itself off safe by it self. It will go up by itself almost half way after I have put it on safe. What can I do to correct this?

John Sukey
05-07-2013, 01:45
You can try bending the spring to put more pressure on the lever, or simply replacing the spring

JB White
05-07-2013, 07:03
It could also be a worn safety. With the rifle cocked and the safety 'on', bump the cocking piece forward with a dead blow or mallet etc. If the safety jumps off it's time for a closer inspection. Just might be out of index by a tooth too, so that's worth checking.
The spring as John mentioned is also a common problem and is the easiest to fix. Put a little bend in it first before doing the bump test and see what happens.

dogtag
05-07-2013, 12:03
If my #4 had that problem I'd never know it. In the twenty
years of shooting it, I've never used the safety. When I'm ready
to shoot I load, cock and shoot. I do not load, cock and then apply
the safety. In battle or hunting, yes. At the range, No.
Different strokes I guess.

tom hargrove
05-08-2013, 09:36
I will take it down and look inside tonight. I an have never worked on an enfield before, and don't know anything about them. Thanks for the advice. Tom

Guamsst
05-08-2013, 11:21
Tom, let me know if you need to replace it. I tried to sell one on Ebay and had no luck. If you need it, I will send it to you for $3 to cover postage. Thats selector, spring and all. Stupid question maybe, but did you tighten the screw?

tom hargrove
05-08-2013, 06:36
Guamsst, Thanks for the offer. I didn't get a chance to bring it home from the shop, so I will have to wait until tomorrow. If it needs one I will indeed get back to you.

Guamsst
05-09-2013, 12:14
Guamsst, Thanks for the offer. I didn't get a chance to bring it home from the shop, so I will have to wait until tomorrow. If it needs one I will indeed get back to you.

No problem, couldn't sell it, don't need it would just like reimbursed for shipping.