PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor Problems

GrinerBros
05-02-2013, 04:44
I took the parts off my trapdoor barreled reciever before I sold but decided to put it back together. It only had the sight and the bolt. I was working to clean the barrel and am having one hell of a problem getting the ejector spring back in. I know it is the right one because it came from this gun. My questions are:

1. The ejector spring has one end pointed the other end is kinda blunt. Which end goes down in the hole? Regardless which way I put it I still can't get the main pin to go through the 3 holes but with the blunt end up it is at least closer.

What in the world am I doing wrong?

raymeketa
05-02-2013, 05:54
The blunt end goes in the hole and the pointy end goes into a corresponding dimple in the extractor. It does take a little priactice to get it back in. Push on the extractor with one hand and try to line up the holes. Then push in the pin. It helps to put the breech block in and use it to push everything together.

Good Luck

Ray

GrinerBros
05-03-2013, 08:11
I tried and tried but with no luck. I'ill list it for sale here soon but with the extractor spring taped to the barrel. LOL

raymeketa
05-03-2013, 08:26
It should not be that big of a deal. Will the extractor fit and work without the spring? Maybe something is blocking it.

Ray

raymeketa
05-03-2013, 08:37
Maybe the spring is an incorrect replacement. It should slip freely over the straight part of the spindle. It's overall length should be just slightly more than the overall length of the spindle.

Ray

Dick Hosmer
05-03-2013, 09:39
Did you clean the hole, thoroughly, with a sharp bit of wire? They can be cesspools of packed rust and previous broken spring coils.

ALSO need to scrub the spring itself thoroughly, with solvent and a toothbrush - any packed rust or crud there will hinder compression.

For easy reassembly, everything should be clean.

Fred
05-03-2013, 11:35
The longer thinner end of the spindle needs to be in the spring and the blunt rounded end needs to be sticking out to go into the dimple in the extractor. Just lay everything in place and place the breechblock in place too and close it. Then, Take the hinge pin and position it to go in the hinge hole and tap it in with a wooden or brass mallet. It should find its way through the hinge and the extractor because its rounded tip will not get hung up. Make sure that the hinge pin goes into place correctly before putting the barreled receiver into the stock.

raymeketa
05-03-2013, 12:11
Fred - That's kinda what I have been telling him. Yours is more eloquently worded. And maybe I should have included a comment, to wit, "If it still won't go, use a hammer!" ;-) ;-)

Ray

GrinerBros
05-03-2013, 01:08
Yes, it goes together without the spring and pin. And I know it's the correct size because it came out of this rifle when I took it apart. I cleaned out the hold as best I could too.

Ill try some more soon. Thanks to all who have tried to help!

psteinmayer
05-03-2013, 07:15
It can be a little hard to push it all together. I had a hell of a time installing a new spring, spindle and extractor in my carbine. As others have said, assemble everything along with the breach block and use the block to push everything together. It will go... Just takes a little bit of elbow grease (as my mother would say)!