PDA

View Full Version : Question about de-milling

Lenny
04-29-2013, 07:44
Gentlemen
Just bought @ online auction Springfield M1903 Mark1 which has been de-milled by welding chamber only. Judging by pictures all else seems to be untouched and functional. Is this a common practice of de-milling? My thoughts are new barrel and a good shooter. Any thoughts? Thanks Peace Lenny

Mike D
04-29-2013, 08:07
I've got a SC A3 with a rod apparently welded in the chamber. Very small weld on top where the barrel and receiver meet, cut-off untouched.

No reason you shouldn't fix yours up.

Mike

chuckindenver
04-30-2013, 06:58
demill= cut in 3 parts,
modify for drill use= weld and plug..
not the same thing.
modify for salute service= modify for use with blanks. {M1 Garands}

Lenny
04-30-2013, 05:51
chuckindenver
Thank you for the correction I am honored by your response and I stand corrected. I sincerely intend to learn as much as I can about the "ought 3" rifles and appreciate any and all information. I can imagine you to consider me a
"Bottom feeder" wish I could afford museum quality specimens but that is unrealistic at this time. The best I can do is start with low end and hopefully learn something and maybe even improve the rifle. Thanx again Peace Lenny

Rick the Librarian
04-30-2013, 06:35
No problem - we all started out in that way (and most of the time still are!). Welcome to the forum.

chuckindenver
04-30-2013, 08:45
dont be so hard on yourself lol.
many of us have recovered drill rifles as shooters, my rull of thumb, is Nickle steel only on the 1903,s and non that have large or heavy welding.
may just save some dollars, and get a good shooter...you should be able to find a nice rifle for around 650 to 750 as a shooter.

p246
05-01-2013, 06:42
I just built a Remington 03A3 for $500.00. The stock for it is correct but a little bit of a beater looks wise. Paid 85.00 for that one. If I would have spent another 50 to 60 I could have got a looker. But this will be a hard use shooter, so I went with functional but ugly kinda like its owner:-)

Doug Douglass
05-01-2013, 10:39
Gentlemen
Just bought @ online auction Springfield M1903 Mark1 which has been de-milled by welding chamber only. Judging by pictures all else seems to be untouched and functional. Is this a common practice of de-milling? My thoughts are new barrel and a good shooter. Any thoughts? Thanks Peace Lenny

I have a friend that bought a pallet of drill rifles and has salvaged several shooters so far. Yes it is commonly done.