PDA

View Full Version : early winchester M1 with no proof mark

weaver
04-28-2013, 08:40
I just bought an early (1066XXX) Winchester M1 carbine. The previous owner has had it for ever and only sold it because of ill health.

It appears to be all correct and unmodified except for the stock which was replaced years ago when the original one broke.

The odd thing is that the barrel has a small "W" 1 5/8 inches aft of the sight but NO proof mark anywhere on the barrel. There is a mark that could be a punch mark but not sure. The bolt and receiver both have the punch marks.

Any ideas??

Tuna
04-29-2013, 06:18
Does it have a type 3 barrel band with the lug? It is possible that the WP proof is covered by it if one is on your carbine. But not all barrels were stamped with the Winchester proof mark. Where on the barrel is the possible punch mark?

Johnny in Texas
04-29-2013, 08:46
If it is a late configuration Winchester it could be a reused s/n on a later carbine.

weaver
04-29-2013, 03:14
The gun has the early, type 1, band. Everything fits the profile for its serial number range. Produced in mid 1943.

weaver
04-29-2013, 03:33
The possible punch mark is about 1/4 inch in front of the barrel band on the right side just at the wood line.

Tuna
04-29-2013, 06:55
Not a proof punch mark if located on the side. IF the barrel was ever refinished it could have been filled in as some are not stamped very deep or it may be a very faint stamping to start with. Sometimes you have to look with a glass to find it. It also may not have had the mark placed on it. Your serial number would date to about April 1943.

weaver
04-29-2013, 08:38
I checked pretty well and don't think there was ever a proof mark. So I guess that makes it even better. Seeing that all the parts are marked "W" Now if I only had the right stock. The previous owner told me he broke the stock 40 years or so ago and replaced it with the first one he found. Still has the early hand guard though. The stock is liable to cost me half as much as the gun cost.

Tuna
04-30-2013, 07:56
The stock will not be cheap but it will increase the value of your carbine a lot. More then the cost of a stock.

Johnny P
04-30-2013, 02:21
Being a more complex stamp, the WP is normally lightly stamped where the W is stamped deeper.

http://i44.tinypic.com/30w3s5x.jpg

weaver
04-30-2013, 09:40
Boy, I cleaned the gun tonight and yes there is a proof mark. I checked it before cleaning with a magnifying glass and couldn't see anything. Even after cleaning it is very very faint. Dirty dirty gun.
Thanks for all the help.