PDA

View Full Version : '03-A4 safety clearance

Dawelda
04-28-2013, 04:52
I have an 03-A3 Smith Corona (parts rifle) that I want to turn into an A4 "replica." I found an old Weaver 330 w/tapered post reticle, Redfield Jr. base and 3/4" diameter, split-top, Redfield rings. I don't think any were GI issue, but close enough for me to look "correct" and to make a fun shooter. Anyhow, it appears the safety will not clear the scope, but I'm not aware of an A4 specific safety and I don't think they used Buehler style safeties either. Can someone help me figure the cause of my problem and possibly a solution?

Yes..I'm brand spanking new here, but for what it's worth I LOVE Springfields! I have this project, another '03-A3, a 1919 '03, 1922 MII, and an 03 sporter for hunting. Oh, and I just got an old "dummy" training rifle w/plastic bayonet that is very cool! Thanks!

daveboy
04-28-2013, 05:16
I just finished restoring an original A4 with a Weaver 330 scope. The safety does not clear the scope. Like you, I did a little research and learned that was something they realized when testing, but decided it was no big deal.

No big deal, I thought? The safety? Are you kidding? But, then it was pointed out to me that the safety will fully engage. It just won't go all the way over. So, pushing the safety up until it contacts the scope will make the rifle safe. It just seems strange to someone used to the regular safety movement.http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21394

daveboy

Dawelda
04-28-2013, 05:22
Yes, that does seem strange! So, the safety is NOT supposed to function correctly? I want mine function "as intended" and if that was "no big deal" with them, I'll get over it. Thank you soooooooooooooo much!

Dawelda
04-28-2013, 05:23
By the way, I was already admiring your rifle...beauty!

chuckindenver
04-28-2013, 06:22
safety will work just fine...

jgaynor
04-29-2013, 06:49
See TM 9-270
follow the link and scroll down to page 11 Para 6h and 7e

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/generalstorage/tm9270usriflecal30m1903a4/TM9-270_1943.pdf

The combination of the Weaver 330C, Redfield Jr. mount and The A4 rifle was not an optimal configuration. But it was a rifle that was available when it was needed and relatively speaking, inexpensive. The A4 was really designed around the Lyman Alaskan which was scheduled to be delivered starting in mid 43 and replace the Weaver. The Alaskan, when installed with the W&E turrets ahead of the front ring, allows the safety to clear the eyepiece.

Regards,

Jim

Jim in Salt Lake
04-29-2013, 01:23
When you finish it, find yourself a CMP Vintage Sniper match. Load up some rounds with good bullets (I like Sierra 168gr MKs) and watch that old rifle come alive. NRA midrange matches are also fun.

Dawelda
04-29-2013, 03:26
I may or may not shoot someone's vintage matches with it some day, but I will shoot the hell out of it in any case. I love that "old rifle" and it has been "alive" for years. It was obviously a military issue weapon at one time, served as a ranch rifle in Texas, hunting rifle in Arizona, a 500yd match rifle, rebuilt to original condition with the addition of Lyman 48 rear sight and globe front, and now as an A4 replica. This will be the final iteration with my ownership as I have other '03 rifles to play with now. This was one was my first '03 and still my favorite of all. Thanks for commenting.

Dawelda
04-29-2013, 03:41
jgaynor,
Interesting reading and...thanks! With additional reading, I see you are well respected in this area and I appreciate your time and comments. As a point of interest, mine is a "330 Scope-M8" as stamped on the tube beneath the adjustment plate. I hope to get it mounted in early June. I am a teacher and only have time when school is out!

George in NH
04-30-2013, 11:26
In reference to the W&E turrets on the Alaskan, I mounted my scope with the turrets to the rear of the front ring thinking that during recoil the scope would not move forward. Did the manual specify where to place the scope in the rings?? TIA George in NH

daveboy
04-30-2013, 06:08
By the way, I was already admiring your rifle...beauty!

Thanks Dawelda. I must admit I am pretty proud of the way she turned out. Good luck with yours and don't forget to share pics. This forum is a gold mine for information.

daveboy

jgaynor
05-02-2013, 05:45
In reference to the W&E turrets on the Alaskan, I mounted my scope with the turrets to the rear of the front ring thinking that during recoil the scope would not move forward. Did the manual specify where to place the scope in the rings?? TIA George in NH

The attached picture is from the October 43 edition of TM 9-2200 which was a sort of catalog of small arms and accessories from .22 to 20MM. As far as i have been able to determine it is the only official picture showing an Alaskan (M73) on an M1903A4. Right about the time that manual was published the word came down that the long awaited Alaskans were not going to happen at least in time for the A4.

A couple of points:

The Redfield base used on the A4 has a bevel at the rear. The purpose of the bevel is IMO to provide clearance for the Alaskan eyepiece. The bevel serves no purpose with the Weaver 330C (M73B1) as the scope cannot be mounted far enough forward for clearance to be an issue.

Eye relief is optimized with the scope mounted in the forward position.

GI manuals are generally pretty good but not perfect, Note in the attached picture there is a mix up in the captions.

Regards,
Jim